What's new

A full 4K Res Home Theater on a 125k Budget (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
More detail? AT like Atlantic Tech or AT as in something else? We went all Classe/B&W because both were willing to help us with engineers and custom design work.

If I'm misunderstanding, let me know

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
For us, an Acoustically transparent screen wasn't really an option. The only benefit of doing that is to hide speakers behind it. Which is fine, but because our front staging area has a slight curve to it (as you can see in the pictures) there isn't a lot of benefit, and we needed the screen back... to get a 144" image in this room, spacing was tight.

Outside of that, I didn't find any that I really liked :) Meanwhile, the Zero Edge Black Diamond with LED lighting kit gives the room a better look.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A $4k Black Diamond screen seems a strange choice for a dedicated light-controlled theater. I realize they claim a "300%" increase in contrast but Ive always thought their real claim-to-fame was ambient light rejection, obviously not an issue for you. What other screens did you consider that didnt make the cut?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Type A said:
A $4k Black Diamond screen seems a strange choice for a dedicated light-controlled theater. I realize they claim a "300%" increase in contrast but Ive always thought their real claim-to-fame was ambient light rejection, obviously not an issue for you. What other screens did you consider that didnt make the cut?
We also looked at the Stewart and Dalite. It came down t the Stewart and the black diamond. For a lot of reasons, including ease of install, the Zero Edge got the $. Since 144" 2.35 was as big as we were going to go, choosing a dark, easy to install made sense to us.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
Room is dark. We went with a black zero edge design.
Excellent! I look forward to hearing more about the project, and the design choices.(I think I'm building a deck this year, so basement is likely next year. So now I need to start gathering info and ideas. My budget is a good deal smaller, but I think you've got some design features that can be scaled for my budget and space.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I keep not coming back to this thread, but I have a weekend off, so I'm going to go through and document everything. So, below is the way this came from bear walls to full rough in.

IMG_0251_zpsf3313578.jpg

This is the lift floor being put in. This was to create a rise in the seating, here it is further along.

IMG_0427_zps465dda12.jpg

At this stage, we were all bare wall.

IMG_0247_zps46cf9c92.jpg

In came Sheetrock.

IMG_0267_zpsec03a687.jpg

Installation of the bar.

IMG_0441_zps5610c806.jpg

Once this started happening then full rough in was underway; it became cleanup, paint, seating, mounting equipment, etc.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Going back and finding pics is killing me, but I stumbled across a stack in a camera this week since I'm updating my camcorder (I'll start a thread on that elsewhere)

So here you go, pictures of the ceiling going in:

XziDczV.jpg

FUbWtMf.jpg

CuHbQFU.jpg

I don't know if I have any more construction pictures left ;( I keep looking for them but I don't have many. I'll just put up final pictures of how it looks now this week since I'm home for a while.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
That looks nice. While you can't see it with the lights out, esthetics really add to the experience. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've actually got people in the theater today installing my new media center and fixing some seats. I will have some great photos of it in action from the weekend

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Doing some updates finally! i figured since we were putting in the new finished seats and putting some firmware updates in, it would be a perfect time the the racks pulled out and people working to get some shots of how this looks!

4kbTEDE.jpg

My fronts. These are Bowers & Wilkins CT8s. B&W custom crafted these for me, they are inverted of their normal, with terminals moved to make sure they go into the space I needed them too. Very happy. They connect here:

hcUESFe.jpg

Custom B&W Crossovers/EQ. B&W Engineers really put the final touch on my room and tuned it to work perfectly.

3wYadcw.jpg

Classe CT-SSP Pre/Pro. I'm pretty happy with this.. however, it still doesn't have 4K passthrough :( Which is something we are having to get around for now.

zX9ahmf.jpg

With the racks pulled out, this is how it looks. There are three Parasound Ultra THX Certified amps, they manage Front L/R/C (each channel has it's own) The Rear Right, Left and Surround Right/Left are on the Parasound 851, 4 Channel THX Ultra Amp. Above that is a Norco - the heart of my Home Theater, with terabytes online of all my data storage for everything I own, basically. All real disc copies (outside of 3D stuff) are nicely stored away here.. and the physical discs? I hide them out of site where they don't clutter my theater.

I couldn't find a way to get a good picture of the subs, because they are inset behind a mesh and I'm not going to pull that apart. BUT, I still have the carboard boxes hanging around, so how about next best thing!

GLFCzMk.jpg

I'm using 2 JL Audio 113 one under the front R and Front L CT8s.

gheVnQ4.jpg

My baby. The Sony VPL-VW600ES. Don't worry, most of those cables aren't visible most of the time. Just updating some firmware, so there is some ethernet hanging down.

Reprogramming Control4 to help manage a lot of this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks