What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Wizard of Oz (1 Viewer)

jeff c

Auditioning
I probebly won't be buying it as I have the last one.The only way I would buy it is if the other one I have has gone bad.There is too many other dvds I plan to buy like Seinfield Seasons 5 and 6,Three's Company Season 5,Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith,Batman Begins The Batman Anthology and Jaws Unleashed in January so I have to save money for these.This does sound like a cool set thou.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Must be a mega set... still on the edge of my seat.
j/k Herb, not trying to pressure you or anything... ;)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

*This NEW release has the original MONO track...as well as

*The isolated Music & Effects track (not avail. since the '89 LD)

*ALL NEW 5.1 surround track generated from original source elements

*French language track.

I think they wanted to leave no stone unturned. (Also, the
hours and hours of pre-recording sessions still remain in the special features).:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had asked this question before....

Is there anything on the last WB DVD release
that has been ommitted from this new 3-disc
collection?

I ask, because I am going to give away my
previous Warner copy.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
Also, there is a complete preview detailing EVERYTHING on thejudyroom.com which also has a link for a preview. It appears that everything the old DVD had in the way of extras is completely carried over.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Actually, wasn't that track a re-mix, too, albeit mono? I believe that the last time the original track was heard was on the 50th anniversary edition.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I too am really eager to get this set. However as much as I want to see the film, I also am really eager to hear and explore the promised "audio-only treasures." I am hoping they include a really interesting performance of "Over The Rainbow" by Judy Garland on a radio program. Her accompanist was the composer, Harold Arlen. I think this might have been one of the few versions in which she performed the verse.

Frankly, though I realize I'm in the minority here, I found the most recent DVD of Wizard to be far inferior to both the original DVD and the Ultimate Oz laserdiscs. These had far deeper, warmer, and more saturated color; also, the more recent DVD was far too bright.

If the new one looks that similar to the last go-round, I for one won't be thrilled with it.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
I think the new one will be both very saturated as well as detailed. I saw the film version this summer on a huge screen and the colors were like velvet and extremely saturated. Also the detail was so good you can basically see the pores in people's skin on closeups. I can't wait to read the review here hopefully very soon. I believe they got their screener last week.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like my experience with Singing in the Rain 35mm after restoration: "Color were like velvet"...it's something that's hard to describe and you have to see the projected print to understand the sensation. Wonderful!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I know many of you are anxious for screen cap comparisons showing the differences from the previous version and the new release – well here they are. The following caps are from my review, which will be posted here later this evening. I apologize to all for the delay - this has been a huge package to cover.

EDIT - The screen caps can be seen in the HTF Review.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I know we always say this that we should NEVER use screen shots as our only indicator. But....I kind of think the previous edition has a more pleasing and natural look. Call me crazy. Other thoughts?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have to agree the first set of pics looks better in most shots here. Look at her blue dress as she is standing with the Munchkins! It's no longer the bright blue it used to be. It seems they adjusted the blue down a bit, look at the blue tint on the house in the first one but it is white on the new pic which does look better on the new but I can't get over the faded blue dress.

Greens do look brighter as well as reds not sure thats a good thing. Guess I have mixed feelings about the new remaster!

I am not sure as to why there seems to be more grain in the new (perhaps it's the larger screen capture of the new version ) but she looks to be all freckly in the new B/W shots.

Just my findings!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks