What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Searchers -- in SD (Some potential bad news See Post #139) (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm crazy, but the filtered night scenes seem to be corrected on my disk -- they look dark, in comparison to the original DVD. I noticed it right off the bat (first viewing of the new DVD).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Some of the scenes are darkened. Certainly the climactic raid scene is darker than on the previous DVD. Whether that is correct or not, I don't have an appropriate reference to tell you.

Regards,

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Color correction issues aside, I did notice that the picture quality is marked improvment from the previous disc.

Does anyone know if WB is offering a replacement disc program, ala Looney Tunes Vol 2?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The packaging says the main English track is stereo but it is in fact mono. Should this just be chalked up as a misprint?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Why does the edge hallowing still occur? Is that just a limitation of standard definition DVD? Why can't that be fixed as well, or would do so reduce the over all sharpness of the image? Is it a trade off that has to be made, or is there a clear choice here to simply remove it?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I assume you're not talking about the Ultimate Collector's Edition because this box contains none of the usual information about about audio, aspect ratio, subtitles etc which I find surprising.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There is no good reason for it. I don't really get how it appears on some transfers but not others. Picking two newly remastered films I watched recently, it's noticeable on "The Searchers", but pretty much completely absent from "The Long Voyage Home". Similarly I noticed it on the latest "The Wild Bunch" DVD, but there was little or none on the 2005 reconstruction of "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid".

It is a puzzlement.

Regards,

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Perhaps the edge enhancement gets applied at a very general level, as like a filter applied over the entire data of the film, rather than carefully applied shot to shot?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I actually am reffering to the Ultimate Special Edition, the specs and sound info are on a insert attached ala Wizard of Oz.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Did you buy the separate version or the boxset? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm about 99.5% that there was no such insert on the version in the boxset. I distinctly remember looking for something that told me which documentaries were on the set and there was nothing anywhere. It was my only minor complaint.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Someone a while ago indicated that the Sony machines used at some point in the authoring or compression process slap on EE without operator involvement, unless you shut it off. Vague I know, but that could explain the differences. Certain equipment may be adding EE without anyone intending to do so, and other equipment doesn't.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Interesting. I'm sure a lot of the time the edge enhancment is helping to sharpen the S.D. image, on those occassions we don't notice it. We probably only comment on it when it is so glaringly excessive that it becomes visible.

I wondering if edge enhancement will become redudant for HD formats? Does HD already offer enough sharpness that manipulation isn't required?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
...although Academy ratio is ever so slightly wider than 4:3, and as such should be presented within a minor letterbox. But, alas, no studio ever does.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
They're not asking about the AR of Stagecoach..they are asking about the American Masters documentary.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is bugging me now; this...

...is adobe brick.

This is from Gary Tooze in the 'Beaver' thread...

I feel ever so slightly anal talking about the colour of bricks in a title shot, but it is bugging me...

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
But the 1.37:1 format is acheived by ever so slightly cropping the top and bottom of the image, 1.37:1 doesn't mean seeing more on the sides, but very slightly less on the top and bottom compared to the camera aperture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks