What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Mel Brooks Collection (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that one of the following must be true:

a) The set includes a non-anamorphic Young Frankenstein with some incorrect reports to the contrary

b) the set includes an anamorphic Young Frankenstein with some incorrect reports to the contrary

c) it's a crap shoot - some sets have an old non-anamorphic version, and others a new anamorphic version

This is a real deal breaker or maker for me. If there is indeed an anamorphic YF in the set then it becomes worth it. If not, then I'll wait for individual releases of the titles I want.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
George,

Other than Colin's, I haven't read about anyone else getting a non-anamorphic Young Frankenstein. Mine is anamorphic. Ron's is anamorphic.

It's obviously supposed to have a new disc, so if on the off chance you did get an old one, I don't see why Fox wouldn't send you a new one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, we'll have to wait until next week to see if my situation is more common or not. Hopefully not - it's weird I ended up with the old disc, but (sh)it happens, I suppose. No idea if I'm the only "lucky one" or if this'll happen to others...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

I don't know what happened, but I must have misread your post, cause I thought you had said you got a non-anamorphic YF. I obviously read your post too fast, and am psyched to see I was mistaken.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It was I who said my friend had gotten the set early and said it was the old disc. He's got a 16x9 set so unless the disc changed his settings then he got the old one. I'm going to see him on Saturday so I'll have him bring it along so I can check it myself but I do trust he knows what he was talking about.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Michael,

Is your friend a reviewer? I just have to wonder if this mistake occurred in an early advance batch.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Nope. He bought the set early at a major retailer (I don't think I can name the store since it broke street date?).

Matthew_Mel

Auditioning
I'll have my set in my hands in the next few hours, so what do i need to look for on the YF to determine if its the anamorphic transfer or not? Is there something printed on the disk/cover that will let me know? I'll be sure to let you guys know what i find out later today.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Matthew,

The new YF disc has 2006 printed on the edge of the disc. That's assuming you don't have the immediate means to play it in PowerDVD on a PC or check it on a 16:9 set with a DVD player set properly.

There's really no way to know unless you open the set and look at the disk art.

Matthew_Mel

Auditioning
I do have access to PowerDVD at work and i can check it, but i've never used it before. So, what will i be looking for using PowerDVd? I also have no problem opening up the package because i can return it with little hassle. Also, do you think that we'll be able to get a replacement disk for YF if it is indeed not anamorphic?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I canceled my pre-order on this for now. It is not chance I am willing to take if I may end up with a non-anamorphic YF. Hopefully soon they will sell High Anxiety and Silent Movie separately. :frowning:

Matthew_Mel

Auditioning
I just got mine in. It has the artwork that looks like the cover. Its not the old shiny silver one. and it has the 2006 TCFHE stamp on it. so far so good, i haven't had a chance to run it on powerdvd yet.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Matthew,

If you play it in PowerDVD, it should looked like Ron's second screenshot, i.e., very slight or no black bars as it's a 1.85:1 film, and it should fill the whole frame if it's anamorphic. If it wasn't anamorphic PowerDVD would play it in a 4:3 window with blacks bars like Ron's first screenshot.

It sounds like you got the right one.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just opened my box.

Young Frankenstein is indeed, anamorphic.

Blazing Saddles is indeed, the older Warners disk. I'll take the 30th anniversary edition and stick it right in the new slim box.

Wonderful set. I also own The Producers, which I've already transferred to a slim case. So, except for Spaceballs (and the new Producers, ugh), I've got the entire Brooks canon.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just something I've noted. The new transfer of Young Frankenstein, though anamorphic, does appear to be slightly zoomed.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Dee,

It looked that way from Ron's screenshots as well. I'm willing to accept that given the new one is anamorphic.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Someone else over at DVDTalk just got a non-annie YF in their set so they are floating out there. His disc does not have the replicated cover art on it, it's just plain silver with the logo of YF. Seems like Fox either screwed up or purposefully tried to dump some of the older non-annie discs into this set to get rid of them. The only way to know will be to buy the set and open it.

:) d

DeeF

Screenwriter
My old Young Frankenstein disk also has the cover art printed on the disk (which is stamped with ©1998).

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I think that was the original "old" release then. I know I've come across other Fox titles that used to have disc art, but in their subsequent repressing after a price drop, when to just a logo on the silver disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks