What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Full Metal Jacket -- In High Definition (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm on HD-A1 #2. The first player went back after it locked up during playback of a regular DVD, as well as other HD-DVDs. The second player had an audio dropout on Full Metal Jacket last night. Not a very good track record...

- Steve

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
think I have to agree with what seems to be a general concensus on this title- in that the HD edition yields very subtle improvment over the standard DVD.
I watched the HD version first, then went back and forth between them, and apart from some finer resolved detail in middle and backgrounds, and the general feeling of stability to the image (for lack of a better word) that HD provides, I didn't see a great deal of difference.
The framing looks appropriate, but then I thought the full frame looked fine too.

I don't feel like it was a waste of money, cause it is still an excellant movie (and I feel like I must be the only person who finds the 2nd half more interesting than the first)- but by the same token, had I seen the HD version prior to buying it, I probably would have passed on an upgrade for now.

sorry to hear about your problems Steve. I hope you can eventually get a good one. All of the problems I have encountered so far have been of the nuisance variety- nothing that has affected actual movie watching.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm keeping a log. :)

It's a brilliant movie. I had not seen it in a while.

- Steve

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Zero problems to date with my player (HD-A1), including marathon sessions on the weekend.

Re: FMJ and Mark's observation regarding the skies. The only time that the sky seemed 'busy' was during those sequences when the sky was a fully blown out white. There were one or two scenes during the first half of the film where the sky seemed harsh. Both of these sequences were probably less than 10 seconds in duration. ( Too tired to finish the film last night. Stopped at the scene with the reporters meeting with their CO at the table. )

Otherwise, I felt that the improved color space gave the film a nuance that was missing from other home video releases. Overall, very happy with this release; certainly the best version I've seen on home video.

- Walter.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

Robert Harris or anyone; have anyone compared the HD-DVD to the HDNet version? I have that one and it looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks