What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Fox's "Marquee Musicals" (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
In an interview for a book called The Celluloid Muse, Negulesco recalls working for the first few days on How To Marry A Millionaire without a camera view finder that decompressed the image. He, and the cinematographer, had to compose the action with the image squeezed. As a result they had to film the sequence on the balcony between the three women several times before acheiving a satisfactory result.

Negulesco also talks about not knowing how to deal with the wide ratio, especially for an intimate comedy. For some scenes of Millionaire, he uses decor elements like a lamp, or the back of a mirror to mask the frame down to smaller proportions. A very common tactic seen at least a bit in most early 'Scope films.

I must admit, I prefer Millionaire and Daddy Long Legs to Three Coins in the Fountain. In the latter film Negulesco just seems to place a desk or chair or something else in the foreground, then use it to motivate actor movement's into that plane. He does it so often that it gets very boring very quickly. At least Millionire and D.L.L feature more variety.

William Miller

Second Unit
I just want to add my two cents and agree with previous posts that the transfer of Pin Up Girl is downright horrible. Fox should recall this title and offer refunds to those poor souls that bought it. All of the beautiful Technicolor is washed out and replaced by a dim and murky look which is not acceptable for this movie.

Weekend in Havana is better but still not great. The Technicolor looks better but there are some scenes when the colors are changing shades so rapidly that it makes your eyeballs feel like a pinball machine.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If I recall correctly, Fox threw out the three-strip nitrate negatives and backed them up on CRIs (color reversal intermediates).

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if it's still an issue but the copies of Daddy Long Legs and Pin Up Girl I received from Amazon today included four lobby cards each.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was terribly disappointed in PIN UP GIRL for two reasons: (1) the transfer was bland and (2) the film was blander. Grable may not have been the best singer, dancer, or actress (though she could certainly do all three well enough for the musicals she did at Fox), but PIN UP GIRL was probably the WORST Grable picture they could have chosen to inagurate her musicals on DVD. The upcoming Grable boxed set will contain films much worthier of her talents: DOWN ARGENTINE WAY, THE DOLLY SISTERS, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks