What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Zelig -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Woody Allen's Zelig, which happened to be his 143rd film, is one of those productions that either gets you hooked immediately, or just doesn't work for you.

I was hooked from the moment I realized what was occurring, and appreciative of the film's technical attributes.

To go into the plot in any detail wouldn't be beneficial to first time viewers, so we'll just make it known that the film is about a very special, human chameleon.

The film runs 79 minutes, and never outlasts its welcome.

Tell the story, entertain.

Goes back to the old possibly apocryphal question about "how long should a film be?"

As long as it's good.

And this one's good.

Normal image rating will not apply, for reasons that will become obvious upon screening.

With great appreciation to Twilight Time, for finally making this available on Blu-ray!

Image - n/a

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ha! Excellent!

It's a bit embarrassing to recall that this Allen fan had to be dragged to see it in '83. But it's true. Happily, said hooking took place right at the appointed time.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Maybe there was a joke in there that went way over my head, but 143rd film? It was the 17th Allen film in which he was either an actor, writer or director and the 12th that he directed.

Zelig is one of those films that work on multiple levels and if you just perceive one, you might not think much of the film. But IMO, it was incredibly brilliant and one of Allen's several takes on identity.

It came just after A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, which many thought was weak, but I loved (and perceived as Allen talking about the magical invention of motion pictures), and before Broadway Danny Rose and The Purple Rose of Cairo (another film about identity). Allen would peak in 1986 and 1987 with Hannah and Her Sisters and Radio Days (although some would say he peaked with Annie Hall and Manhattan in '77 and '79) and with only a few exceptions (Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine) has (IMO) pretty much lost his mojo since.

But with his latest, I think Allen has now directed 47 films. Wow.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Maybe there was a joke in there that went way over my head, but 143rd film? [...]

But with his latest, I think Allen has now directed 47 films. Wow. [...]

Allen would peak in 1986 and 1987 with Hannah and Her Sisters and Radio Days (although some would say he peaked with Annie Hall and Manhattan in '77 and '79) and with only a few exceptions (Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine) has (IMO) pretty much lost his mojo since.
As you, yourself, had pointed out; 47 films is a definite "Wow" factor. Although I am in no position to speak on behalf of RAH, I believe his humorous use of exaggeration was used to make the very same point. Woody Allen has been prolific. I compare Woody Allen's output of film to that of Bob Dylan's output in albums; and certainly both have had their creative periods of peaks and valleys within their collective works; but always coming back.
My only disagreement here is that Woody Allen isn't losing his mojo at all. With 47 films to his credit, Allen has been Oscar nominated 16 times for his writing, alone. (That's 4 more than Billy Wilder.) As a director, Woody Allen can add 7 more nominations to his roster. (Being 1 shy of Mr. Wilder, on that front, as well) With another nomination for Best Actor, Woody Allen has achieved a whooping score of 24 nominations, in all. Now that's a definite "Wow", no doubt.
Being prolific does have its ebbs and flows and in Woody Allen's case, he ultimately always surprises us; just when we thought it was over.
So fear not, I am certain that there is more to come.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks