What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
So glad to see that WAC is on such a roll!! I hope that, with To Have and Have Not coming, we'll start seeing some other famous screen teams get their films released! Personally, I'm pulling for the Astaire/Rogers films, but I'd also be happy with the Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland films, as well as the Tracy/Hepburn films or, since they have been so heavy on Humphrey Bogart (and have a James Cagney film coming in the form of Love Me Or Leave Me), I hope their three films together might come soon! Or heck, maybe we can finally start seeing any of the comedy teams represented, too!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A Night At The Opera with the missing frames with would great if they started to release comedy team films.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
One thing I keep meaning to ask (and I suppose I am directing this question more to Mr. Harris than anybody else, although anybody can chime in on it): as WHV seems to have handed over most of their catalogue titles to WAC now, is there any hope for some of the more expensive titles to restore like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, High Society, or the three Show Boats on Blu, since all those seem to be titles that have been discussed as needing WHV level budgets to work with (especially Seven Brides, since that one has two different versions that we would like to see in HD)?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One thing I keep meaning to ask (and I suppose I am directing this question more to Mr. Harris than anybody else, although anybody can chime in on it): as WHV seems to have handed over most of their catalogue titles to WAC now, is there any hope for some of the more expensive titles to restore like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, High Society, or the three Show Boats on Blu, since all those seem to be titles that have been discussed as needing WHV level budgets to work with (especially Seven Brides, since that one has two different versions that we would like to see in HD)?

Quite obviously Warners have set aside a budget for restoring films and making them ready for Blu-ray and High Definition television. With this budget, Warners have a choice . They can either spend the money sparingly, and work on a large number of films which are not going to cost a lot, or they can spend that same budget on two or three films which will be very expensive.

Warners have chosen the first option, and the result is a large number of superb Blu-ray discs. Universal took the other option: they restored splendidly Spartacus, released it on Blu-ray and . . . . what else?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was looking at my (French) DVD of Scaramouche in the weekend, & it looks absolutely stunning. I assume Warner did it in HD, in which case they could save themselves a bit of money & put it out on Blu-ray, a nice easy Archive release.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Quite obviously Warners have set aside a budget for restoring films and making them ready for Blu-ray and High Definition television. With this budget, Warners have a choice . They can either spend the money sparingly, and work on a large number of films which are not going to cost a lot, or they can spend that same budget on two or three films which will be very expensive.

Warners have chosen the first option, and the result is a large number of superb Blu-ray discs. Universal took the other option: they restored splendidly Spartacus, released it on Blu-ray and . . . . what else?

One-Eyed Jacks for one.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just curious: what's the definitive status (home video rights) to John Wayne's films The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky as well several other films like Blood Alley, In Harms Way, Circus World, and the The Sons of Katie Elder that I'd love to see get BD releases (Fathers Day seems to be the annual release date for Duke films). The whole Batjac/Paramount/Warners distribution thing is confusing.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I was looking at my (French) DVD of Scaramouche in the weekend, & it looks absolutely stunning. I assume Warner did it in HD, in which case they could save themselves a bit of money & put it out on Blu-ray, a nice easy Archive release.

Sign me up for Scaramouche, right at the top of my most wanted blu-ray list.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just curious: what's the definitive status (home video rights) to John Wayne's films The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky as well several other films like Blood Alley, In Harms Way, Circus World, and the The Sons of Katie Elder that I'd love to see get BD releases (Fathers Day seems to be the annual release date for Duke films). The whole Batjac/Paramount/Warners distribution thing is confusing.
Keeping in mind the accuracy of Wikipedia generally, this may be a good place to start: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batjac_Productions

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Circus World was broadcast as a pay per view on my Directv two years ago but did not see it. Below is part of a news clip on it:

Digitally remastered in HD by Harvey Weinstein, El Cid and Circus World promise viewers a crystal clear, artistically faithful reproduction of the 1960’s classics from the comfort of their own home.
“It’s an honor to be partnering with Mike White and the team at DIRECTV on such prestigious re-releases. I’m a DIRECTV subscriber myself, and I love it. We’re thrilled to be bringing two cinematic classics, El Cid and Circus World, starring so many legends of the silver screen, right to people’s homes,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Circus World was broadcast as a pay per view on my Directv two years ago but did not see it. Below is part of a news clip on it:

Digitally remastered in HD by Harvey Weinstein, El Cid and Circus World promise viewers a crystal clear, artistically faithful reproduction of the 1960’s classics from the comfort of their own home.
“It’s an honor to be partnering with Mike White and the team at DIRECTV on such prestigious re-releases. I’m a DIRECTV subscriber myself, and I love it. We’re thrilled to be bringing two cinematic classics, El Cid and Circus World, starring so many legends of the silver screen, right to people’s homes,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein.

So, just to be totally clear...

Warner Archive will be releasing Harvey Weinstein?

At home?

Watching DirectV?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So, just to be totally clear...

Warner Archive will be releasing Harvey Weinstein?

At home?

Watching DirectV?
I was trying to figure out how Time Warner Cable was related to DirectTv (as they were bought by A T & T) then I realized "TWC" is "The Weinstein Company". :cool:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Amusing that with the discussion of Mr. Weinstein, DirectTv, and Circus World, no one has picked up the little hint in post

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks