A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt Stunt Coordinator

Jon Lidolt
    Todd-AO looked very distorted in its original deeply curved screen presentations. I know, I saw it projected this way. Smilebox would only add distortions to Around the World in 80 Days instead of enhancing it.

2. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

Warner really needs to look into releasing LOCAL HERO on bluray. A best picture nominee and cult classic for many.While i'm at it. lets get a release of RYANS DAUGHTER.Come on Warner- its David Lean and a 70mm production that would look great in bluray.

3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Yup, Just watched it & have to agree, but what a great looking HD picture from Warner! Makes you wonder just how many HD goodies they have stacked up there. Roll on 2015.

4. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit

Glenn Frost
    Agree about RYAN'S DAUGHTER. Not the best film, but it is beautiful to look at! I have been to Ireland and been to the beach outside of Dingle where they filmed much of it. They even have signs to point the location out. An incredibly beautiful place. (Of course they also sneak in shots of the Cliffs of Moher in the film which is miles and miles away).

This is another film that got chopped. I saw it the week it opened and it was L-O-N-G. I remember people laughing at a couple of places where they definitely were not supposed to be. Shortly thereafter it lost about 20 minutes.

Still, it is a beautiful film and the first hour, at least, is very well done. The biggest problem is that people were expecting an epic, and that is what Lean tried to do, with something that is basically a rather simple romantic triangle in a small Irish village.

trajan likes this.
  5. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I've been waiting FOREVER for Local Hero. What a great little movie. I want those Northern Lights .....

trajan and davidmatychuk like this.
  6. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

I just don't understand why this gem of a film has been overlooked. Are you listening Warner/?

7. Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot Agent

Ryan
    Does anyone know if WHV has any BIG releases planned for the end of this year?Seems like so far November and December is really lacking...

atfree likes this.
  8. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    They are pretty tight on their release schedule....usually seem to announce 5-6 weeks prior to release and usually only one release a month (and that's being generous). Since we have "Out of the Past" this month and "The Great Race" in September, my hope is we'll get an October announcement next month and so on.

9. Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot Agent

Ryan
    That's fine concerning the releases you mention are WAC releases.But what about the main WHV distributing arm?Sure we get a "Gone with the Wind" set and an extended edition of "Once Upon A Time in America", along with these "DiamondLuxe" releases, but last year they seemed to be putting out a lot more new to Blu-Ray films.

10. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Based on RAH's comments, my guess is we'll see more WHV releases in 2015.....not sure if 2014 will see any BIG releases in terms of new-to-blu catalog titles. I'd love some but not getting my hopes up.Sorry for confusing WHV with WAC but I don't differentiate between the two as I only buy BD's online, no brick and mortar purchases. As long as I can buy them, it doesn't matter if its WHV or WAC. And WAC is doing great work with its releases especially as they use BD-50's with higher bitrates vs the BD-25's WHV uses most of the time.

11. FanboyZ

FanboyZ Second Unit

Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
    Wish they put out more New Line stuff...

12. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Robert Mitchum walked out of the NYC premiere of Ryan's Daughter, saying, "My ass is chapped." I lived near the bar that bore the movie's name, on 1st and 85th

GlennF likes this.
  13. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Still hoping for a Sam Peckinpah Westerns box set before the end of the year (it would be a good release for the Christmas market), or at least the remastered, The Wild Bunch. I'm sure they'll be something of interest.

SAhmed, Ryan Talbot and atfree like this.
  14. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    As you can tell from my Avatar.....I would welcome a WHV re-release of a remastered "Where Eagles Dare" :) ...... but not holding out any hope of that actually happening. I know there's a ton of yet-to-be-released-on-BD films that would (and should) take priority over a re-release of MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE WWII MOVIE!!!!

15. Ryan Talbot

Ryan Talbot Agent

Ryan
    Yes a new remaster/reissue of "The Wild Bunch" is much needed IMO.Not that impressed with the original Blu-Ray release.

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I agree, also Doctor Zhivago, some of these Warner Bros titles need new scans and higher bitrate releases to keep fine detail intact.

I have been in debates regarding bitrate and fine detail but at too low a bitrate, especially with VC-1, the fine detail is smoothed over, on certain sizes of display it might not be so noticeable but, when you get to projection size it can be seen and it matters.

atfree likes this.
  17. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I thought the existing release of 'Where Eagles Dare' was OK .. colours are appropriately bleak for the film's setting and I doubt if we'll see a better transfer my lifetime...... which admittedly may not be saying much!

ahollis likes this.
  18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'd still like to get Where Eagles Dare on Blu for an upgrade but a lot of the Amazon reviews mention the Blu being overly dark. A lot more than the DVD. Any comments on that.

19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'd buy Genius At Work. I've never seen it all the way through, only part of it on TMC a few years ago. It looked like a fun movie . With Brown And Carney if I remember correctly.
    Update: I checked IMDB and it was with Brown And Carney. I've always liked Zombies On Broadway. Maybe , WBA should look into doing a Brown And Carney package. Those guys have become totally lost with the passage of time!

20. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    OK here's my take. The BD is an upgrade on the DVD but it wasn't "restored". The clarity and sharpness are better and the audio is much better. But WED is a dark film (a lot of day for night filming was done) and the color palette is mostly white, blue, black and gray so its not a film that has color to blow you way. As my all-time favorite WWII movie, it was a no-brainer to upgrade. Your mileage may vary .

WED was a roadshow release (mostly in Europe) shown in both 35mm and 70mm (blown up) with 4-track stereo sound. It also had an intermission and entr'acte in some releases. Here's a great article on its history:

http://in70mm.com/news/2009/where_eagles_dare/index.htm

I would dearly love to see a release of the roadshow version on BD but doubt it will ever happen.