What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ W. -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
W., from Lionsgate, is a "bio" as only Oliver Stone could tell it, and Josh Brolin makes a wonderful W. Figuring out what is fact and what is fiction becomes rather like an easter egg hunt.

This is a very good looking Blu-ray with no problems other than a determination by Lionsgate to either force the viewer to sit through a half dozen trailers, or continually wait and hit the chapter skip button.

They have left no means (that I can find) of moving to a main menu and viewing the film. While I don't feel that there's anything wrong with putting trailers on a disc, this isn't the way to do it.

With that caveat, the film as well as the Blu-ray are Recommended.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I find it to be a poor decision, and ultimately disrespectful of the consumer.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Say what you will about Disney and their gazillion trailers before each feature; at least you can hit menu and go straight to the movie. Seems Lionsgate has taken a page from the Universal DVD production book in terms of trailers.

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
I agree that this movie looks really good and I actually thought the movie itself was pretty good. The Blu-ray is very film-like looking to me with lots of detail.

I thought going in that it would just be a non-stop Bush bash fest but it turned out to be pretty fair IMO. Yes he made lots of mistakes but many of them are more likely related to the people around him while he was in power and him being too dependent on their opinions. Josh Brolin did a great job as W. as well.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I have this BD and enjoyed the movie, but I have a question about the menu. Can anyone tell me how to play the deleted scenes, as I just don't understand how that part of the menu is supposed to work. After making the selection for commentary or no commentary, what sequence of buttons do I need to press to actually play the deleted scenes?

Thanks for any help on this.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
It is, but we had it quite cosy so far here in "The West". Ever watched Bollywood DVDs? It's not uncommon that they force you to
- watch commercials for the label
- watch trailers
- watch commercials for rice etc.
- watch the logo of the label superimposed over the picture, if not all the time at least
during songs or other parts
Add to that the usual poor image quality and you have to be a die hard fan to put up with it. Of course there are plenty of pirates to chose from as well, not that these are more watchable on average...

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Simply go back a step and select the deleted scene you wish to view. There is no play all option if I remember correctly, so you have to play each scene separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks