What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
He was originally slated to do Sondheim's COMPANY on Broadway but dropped out and was replaced by Dean Jones.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Robin9 said:
He made a few albums at one time and several years later sang a few numbers on those Ben Bagley "revisited" albums. He wasn't a very good singer. His tone was as flat as his stomach!
True, but there is a vulnerable quality that I find endearing; I have three of his albums and enjoy them from time to time. He's no Frank, but now and then, I give those albums a spin.

Real Name
Bond
Apparently, Universal is releasing Vertigo again, along with Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds, in only 2 days. It's a Bluray version of their old Essentials Collection:

rsz1rsz68454front.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred-Hitchcock-The-Essentials-Collection-Blu-ray/68454/

They announced it in March, but I just found out about it. Probably nothing new on the disks themselves, but the packaging might have some goodies.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I just found a near mint copy of a Perkins album a few weeks ago while out antique shopping. It's a perfect companion to my 45rpm of Perkins' "Moon-Light Swim"
004.JPG

Real Name
Peter Hayes
courtesy of the indefatigable Greg Philip, here's something that all Vertigo fans are sure to find of interest: a version of the movie that has the sequoia tree cross-section labelled in French

it leaves me wondering, though: if there was a separate French version, what other language versions were created?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Hayes said:
courtesy of the indefatigable Greg Philip, here's something that all Vertigo fans are sure to find of interest: a version of the movie that has the sequoia tree cross-section labelled in French it leaves me wondering, though: if there was a separate French version, what other language versions were created?
"Nothing to see here. Please move along..."These are foreign version inserts. Separate negative roll. They can either be dealt with as a C roll during the exposure of matrices, or physically cut into fv prints, as they are being conformed.Same situation as main, intermission, ends.RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AstonMartin007 said:
Apparently, Universal is releasing Vertigo again, along with Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds, in only 2 days. It's a Bluray version of their old Essentials Collection:

rsz1rsz68454front.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alfred-Hitchcock-The-Essentials-Collection-Blu-ray/68454/

They announced it in March, but I just found out about it. Probably nothing new on the disks themselves, but the packaging might have some goodies.
Vertigo is coming out in the UK as Region Free BD on September 23rd. I suspect Region A will have a similar release around the same time period.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertigo-Blu-ray-Region-James-Stewart/dp/B003BEDT96/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1370784836&sr=1-1&keywords=vertigo

Real Name
Bond
Robert Harris said:
"Nothing to see here. Please move along..."

These are foreign version inserts. Separate negative roll. They can either be dealt with as a C roll during the exposure of matrices, or physically cut into fv prints, as they are being conformed.

Same situation as main, intermission, ends.

RAH
It is interesting though. I wonder if there is any extra Vertigo footage out there, the only outtakes I'm aware of are the 2 in the trailer, Madeleine at Ernie's and Judy's "If I do what you tell me" line in Scottie's apartment.

I'd guess there is at least a German version as well, the same thing was done for Psycho:

pdvd_019.jpg
pdvd_013.jpg

Robert Crawford said:
Vertigo is coming out in the UK as Region Free BD on September 23rd. I suspect Region A will have a similar release around the same time period.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertigo-Blu-ray-Region-James-Stewart/dp/B003BEDT96/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1370784836&sr=1-1&keywords=vertigo
I agree...but that's really not the cover I'd have gone with. I'm happy Kim Novak's on the cover (is this the first time?), but the whole thing looks pretty amateurish, the bottom looks like someone went nuts with the Brush tools in Photoshop and the top...with so many shots of Stewart and Novak together, they couldn't do better than a lame blend? Continued underwhelming from Universal.
Peter Hayes said:
here's something that all Vertigo fans are sure to find of interest
I'm always on the lookout for Vertigo material too, I'm constantly surprised when I still find things I haven't seen before. For example, I just came across this promo picture yesterday:

tumblr_lpdd1qetbu1qi97xgo1_1280.jpg

Isn't that bizarre? Looks like zombie Jimmy Stewart has come to terrorize twin Kim Novak sisters.

...Actually, I'd pay to see that movie, sounds a lot more fun than this Vertigo fluff. Hell, they could even use the original title, "From Amongst the Dead"...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
AstonMartin007 said:
It is interesting though. I wonder if there is any extra Vertigo footage out there, the only outtakes I'm aware of are the 2 in the trailer, Madeleine at Ernie's and Judy's "If I do what you tell me" line in Scottie's apartment.
Beyond foreign version inserts, most originals of which were destroyed, quite a bit of footage that went to stock exists. As well as multiple shots of the body falling.

RAH

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Ms Novak has only ever had good things to say about Stewart - it's plain to see they got along famously. That picture is adorable. Don't forget they also made "Bell Book and Candle" in the same year - although it's been said that Stewart felt miscast as the romantic leading man.

The Blu-ray single release of "Vertigo" is coming to the UK on the 23rd September - here is a look at the cover art...

81F7pGg1tQL._SL1500_.jpg

Real Name
Peter Hayes
I'll be seeing VERTIGO in 70 mm next Saturday night here in Melbourne, Australia.

As promised, I'll have my stopwatch and will report in due course.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A quick glance at the features on the UK disc would indicate that the dvd features are being ported over. If I don't see a release date for the US, i'll be buying the UK disc.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
Beyond foreign version inserts, most originals of which were destroyed, quite a bit of footage that went to stock exists. As well as multiple shots of the body falling.

RAH
Didn't one of the DVD releases have as an extra the added scene at the end that was ultimately and correctly cut from the film?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks