A Few Words About A few words about...™ Universal Monsters -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Man, if I could, I'd be right there. That sounds like an awesome night!

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    There's a Fathom double feature across the nation of Frankenstein and Bride, but i'll bet you care more about the quality of your presentation than our local Fathom theater does.
    How many do you expect to show up? I hope they know how lucky they are.

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    BTW, when is that Fathom showing of Frankenstein and Dracula?

After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.

4. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

Everything on the set is compatible with US equipment. No SD PAL or HD 50Hz issues on these discs.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Dracula is not showing. Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are showing on October 24th. HTF is having their Meet in LA during that week so I'm going to Universal City to watch this double feature on the big screen that night.

Crawdaddy

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    October 24th, I think. Just google fathom events and you'll find it.

7. Guest

I'm expecting around 30 or more. The pre-show tonight consists of creepy black and white Disney shorts, starting with "The Skeleton Dance,"

8. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Thanks. (Right, Frankenstein and Bride.)

9. Guest

I'm going to open invitations to HTF members next summer. I think it would be fun to meet those members from the Indy area.

10. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    FWIW, my shipments from Amazon.uk lately have been arriving in a week or less, including my coffin box which came within the week.

11. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    I have had access to a 16mm IB Tech print of "The Wizard of Oz" that definitely shows registration problems at certain points, but briefly.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That's a theater full. You're going to have fun. Will there be little kids? If so report on how well the movies work on them.

13. Ken Volok

Ken Volok Stunt Coordinator

Ken Volok
    I'm one of those people who got a defective Creature from the Black Lagoon disc, TWICE! I am so jealous of you all!

14. Guest

There will be little kids. My 7 year old nephew loves the Universal monsters! My dad introduced me to these when I was a toddler and the local Shock Theater host presented them on Friday nights. The atmosphere took my breath away. They are so unique in that way. Nothing can replace them. I'll let you know how the kids like them. The backyard is full of trees, and the trees make for a nice atmosphere as they tower behind the house and screen. There is plenty of open sky too, for the moon and stars to shine down upon us.

15. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I believe Scott MacQueen only did commentary for the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but he did supervise some restoration work on the 1929 version for Milestone, released in 2003, and also did a commentary track for it. I don't remember the details, but Scott was unhappy with the strobing effect on this version. As best as I can remember, it was due to the PAL-NTSC transfer and would require a new transfer from film elements to rectify the problem.

16. Guest

Well, the movies were a HUGE success Friday night!!!! They looked like sterling silver. When the closups of Karloff's face popped up on the screen, there were gasps. It was very effective. The most amazing scene was during the creation when the monster was lifted through the ceiling. It looked like he was going up through the screen and into the sky! Very cool. The Baron drew laughs from the audience. It was much scarier outside on the big screen. Bride, similarly, was a great success. The audience laughed, cheered, and screamed. They loved Minnie. Wolf Man was good too, but it was very cold and I think people were getting tired. The kids LOVED every minute of it...the first movie scared them a bit but when the movies were over, they said "They weren't really scary." The atmosphere was beyond beautiful, creepy, haunting out there. It was a night that felt special, rare and a one-time event.

17. scottc1992

scottc1992 Auditioning

Scott
    Hey Eric, did you watch them on Sammy Terry? I'm from Indy also and I love the older horror films!

18. Guest

ABSOLUTELY! On Channel 4 on Friday Nights! Sammy Terry was the perfect host! His show always scared the crap out of me! I encourage those who don't know who we are talking about to visit youtube and watch some clips. This is where I began loving these films!

19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Well, Eric, you had the perfect theater experience at home. Congrats. Are your neighbors ok with it?

20. Guest

They are, and since the sound is moving towards the back, you can barely hear it around front. My backyard has a creek and trees that separate us from the next house, but it is empty, as is the house next door.