What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Two Rode Together -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When people think of filmmaker John Ford, they generally think of westerns. While he directed other genres, his westerns always seem to come to the fore, although I personally love so many of his non-westerns, I've lost track of them.

Two Rode Together (1961) is B level Ford, but even at that level it begs one's attention. It's a loosely directed film, starring James Stewart and Richard Widmark, with the requisite Ford company along for the ride, along with Shirley Jones.

According to Julie Kirgo's always interesting liner notes, here quoting Joseph McBride's tome on director Ford (if you don't have a copy, what are you waiting for?) it was shot during a very low period in Ford's life. It shows.

Twilight Time's Blu-ray, via Columbia's Grover Crisp via Sony is, once again, typical Sony product. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And that's a good thing, as it looks as sounds as brilliant as it did when it opened in theatres in 1961.

Color, black levels, resolution, grain structure, all appear to be proper.

But one would expect that.

Second tier Ford, and yet an important production.

Shot at Alamo village, Brackettville, TX.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

A gorgeous Blu-ray presentation.

Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I viewed this BD and thought it looked fine. IMO, I think Stewart gives one of his best performances in which it ranges from comic to man of action to dramatic scenes. It's a film that has been mistreated for a while in the video age and can be finally seen in NA with its OAR. I can now retire my Region 2 DVD.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This one is on the way to me so will be watching it at some point this week. Glad to see you addressing this one here, Mr. Harris, as a Ford production on blu-ray is a notable event and I hope it encourages folks to take a look at this one. I have not seen the film in some time and look forward to seeing this presented on blu with Grover Crisp's always stellar work behind this effort. Always great to get another Western on blu-ray!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I have fond memories of this film working at a theatre and seeing it in the summer of 1961. It seemed more mature that many earlier westerns.

I started watching TRT last night for the first time in years, it does look and sound great. But very derivative of The Searchers, which I had not seen in 1961. Still a very interesting movie, and the Stewart/Widmark chemistry still works.

Thanks to Julie Kirgo for linking this to Liberty Valance, my favorite Ford film. Where has she been all of my life?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Still hasn't shipped for me, but I look forward to this more thanks to this review.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched this last night. I thought it looked fantastic and I really enjoyed the film. Yes, it has things in common with The Searchers but enjoyed the performances of Stewart and Widmark and their interactions. Second tier John Ford is still far better than most other films. Must own if you are a fan of any of the major players.

I recently saw the film on television and this blu-ray far surpassed that presentation in every way.

Capnvid

Captain
Real Name
Burt Vincent
Watched the Blu-Ray tonight. I don't consider it 2nd tier John Ford for the following reasons. First, it's held up for forty years from the first time I saw it at a revival house. 2nd tier films don't do that. John Ford did a satirical take on two of his greatest films. Jimmy Stewart is the corrupt image of Henry Fonda in "My Darling Clementine" in his first scenes. "The Searchers" Scar; Henry Brandon, does a funny take on his earlier character, politically savvy and smarter than the heroes. The early riverside scene between Stewart and Widmark is one of my all time favorites from John Ford. It must have been interesting for Richard Widmark (Bowie), Linda Cristal (Flaca), Ken Curtis (Dickenson), and Jack Pennick (Lightfoot) to return to The Alamo Village probably less than a year after working so hard for John Wayne on the set.

A wonderful Blu-Ray and movie for anyone, regardless of how you rank it among John Ford's work.

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Hopefully this will pop-up used on Amazon, wonder what the point is of such a 'limited run'....even with the great transfer, for me it's always been a B' Ford film and the $50.00 plus ebay price is a little rich right now for that....

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This one has a good chance of selling out fairly soon. It's a later John Ford film, it's a western, and there is no R1 DVD alternative outside of the recently released TCM boxed set which costs more to buy than the blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cannon1 said:
Hopefully this will pop-up used on Amazon, wonder what the point is of such a 'limited run'....even with the great transfer, for me it's always been a B' Ford film and the $50.00 plus ebay price is a little rich right now for that....
Why pay $50.00 on Ebay when you can buy it for $29.95 from Screen Archives?

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Robin9 said:
Why pay $50.00 on Ebay when you can buy it for $29.95 from Screen Archives?
Excellent point...on it's way, Thanks for that source!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
cannon1 said:
Excellent point...on it's way, Thanks for that source!
Good gracious! All this time, you didn't know where Twilight Time exclusively sells their product? :)

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Mark-P said:
Good gracious! All this time, you didn't know where Twilight Time exclusively sells their product? :)
Hadn't a clue..thanks a lot for the additional heads-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks