What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ To Have and Have Not -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Ever been bit by a dead bee?"

Based upon the work of Ernest Hemingway, and with a screenplay by Jules Furthman and William Faulkner, To Have and Have not, which introduced Lauren Bacall to audiences, is a stunner.

An absolutely charming film, and a solid part of WB's WWII output, it remains one of my personal favorites of the era.

There are some who feel that my words regarding Warner Archive releases are occasionally too glowing.

For them, I can point out the rather weak color palette, which is made even more evident by the inclusion, as an extra, of Bacall to Arms, derived from original SE elements, and for which the color is brilliant, as it was originally printed in Technicolor.

In comparison, To Have and Have Not, appears almost black & white.

I'll not go on about this film.

Suffice to say, this should be a "must buy" for anyone who truly loves the cinema.

Great film. Perfect representation on Blu-ray.

Did I mention Bogart, Brennan and Bacall?

Oh, one more aside, the publication history of the original stories, and background, is worth researching.

And another..

Why is Mr. Bogart's character called "Steve," when his name is Harry?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Hey Monsieur Harris,
4K up-res? What you going on about?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hey Monsieur Harris,
4K up-res? What you going on about?

Welcome.

The uprez rating tells members how well the data reacts to an uprez via a high quality BD player, such an a later model Oppo.

Mediocre, or just good enough programming looks worse uprezzed. Quality programming such as To Have, glows.

MUFC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Welcome.

The uprez rating tells members how well the data reacts to an uprez via a high quality BD player, such an a later model Oppo.

Mediocre, or just good enough programming looks worse uprezzed. Quality programming such as To Have, glows.

Aahhhh. Gotcha. Thanks.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
There is a God!!!
Casablanca, Key Largo and To Have And Have Not are my top three favorite films with Mr. Bogart, and they're in my top ten of favorites no matter who's in it. To read your review that it's top notch has made my day!
Thanks Robert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks