What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ To Catch a Thief -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Day for night is particularly effective in B&W when you can use a red filter to turn the sky black.
Doug

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Or use infrared film to turn the sky black, as Robert Wise did in Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) and The Haunting (1963).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/318618/a-few-words-about-to-catch-a-thief-in-blu-ray#post_3898880
Or use infrared film to turn the sky black, as Robert Wise did in Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) and The Haunting (1963).
Or John Ford did before then.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Or John Ford did before then.

...a tip which he got from Mexican cinematographer Gabriel Figueroa (whilst working on The Fugitive), who studied under Toland. I might add that David Lean used infrared most effectively in The Sound Barrier (1952)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
You have to be careful with infrared film however, It does strange things to skin tones.
Doug

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Does Cary Grant's striped shirt still have that shimmering effect that seemed to be present on all the DVD releases? Perhaps the higher resolution on the blu-ray will fix that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh yes, the striped shirt! That's the other thing I was trying to think of. The green-ish cast, the tan, and the shirt -- all remembered from every previous incarnation on TV or home video. (Though I always remembered the first two from the couple of film screenings I'd seen. I think even the color 8x10s or lobby cards pretty faithfully represented those.)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
My daughter and I enjoyed seeing this movie at the Silver Theater in Silver Spring, MD a few months ago. She's only 18, but she I'm proud that she enjoys Hitchcock. She remarked how beautiful Kelly was, and who am I to argue?
Anyway, it was a pretty good print, and looked gorgeous on the big screen. I'm eagerly awaiting the BD.
Doug

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
mikeyhitchfan said:
Does Cary Grant's striped shirt still have that shimmering effect that seemed to be present on all the DVD releases? Perhaps the higher resolution on the blu-ray will fix that.
Yes I've wondered that on this site before, the aliasing on Grants striped er...what ever it's called, is quite bad, & the same with the girl on the boat. I'd have thought HD would cure that. I love the film, 50's France looks like an other world...a lot more colourful than this one!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Robert.
I'm on the bubble a bit as I do have the SE DVD of this one..
I'll most likely cave on it...
: )

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Osato /t/318618/a-few-words-about-to-catch-a-thief-in-blu-ray/30#post_3899562
Thanks Robert.
I'm on the bubble a bit as I do have the SE DVD of this one..
I'll most likely cave on it...
This is a very special film, and one definitely worth the upgrade. $15 at Amazon. Your SE is worth either 5 or 10.25 in trade. Image-wise, the most beautiful Hitchcock film.

RAH

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm going to have to get this one. For some reason I've never warmed up to this Hitchcock film, but I've never seen an ideal presentation of it. Both 35mm prints I ran (printings created in the early 2000's) just did not look great and pretty much every other video version has had issues. Thanks for the 15 buck Amazon tip!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Harris said:
This is a very special film, and one definitely worth the upgrade.  $15 at Amazon.  Your SE is worth either 5 or 10.25 in trade.  Image-wise, the most beautiful Hitchcock film.
RAH
I caved. Was coming back here to post that I had done so and saw your comments about it.
Yes. Plus it's Hitchcock. Have too.
The Lady Vanishes is out there. Hoping to pick that one up when Barnes and Nobles does their 50% off sale..
Hopefully The Birds comes in October. Perhaps with the other Universal monster films as well?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've got all these Hitchcock blu-rays, so this is a no brainer for me. I eagerly await this based on the RAH review!! :D
The 39 Steps - ITV U.K.
The Lady Vanishes - Criterion
Rebecca - MGM
Spellbound - MGM
Lifeboat - Masters of Cinema U.K. (coming 04/2012)
Notorious - MGM
To Catch a Thief - Paramount
North By Northwest - Warner
Psycho - Universal (U.K. preferred)
The Birds - Universal (coming 2012)
and hopefully this year...
Rear Window
Vertigo
The Trouble With Harry

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Why do you prefer the U.K. edition of Psycho over the Universal?
b467eb03_Psycho1960pParamount-six.jpeg

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The cover art is much better on the region free U.K. version. The transfer and content is the same. Personal preference. It was also released a few months before the U.S.
Yes, I heard Dial M For Murder was being 'redone' in the newer 3D format for release, instead of the older blue/red glasses type. I really don't care as long as they release it flat, as well.
I also read that the British Film Institute is restoring his 9 silent films with newly recorded soundtracks for re-release and a probable blu-ray box set release this year.
More Hitchcock on blu-ray is a wonderful thing. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks