What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Whistleblower -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Larysa Kondracki's The Whistleblower, is at the very least, an upsetting film to many viewers, and because of the facts placed in front of them by this true story, received some rather unpleasant reviews.

Every film can't be as sweet and addictive as Enchanted.

On a tech level, The Whistleblower is a bit of a rara avis.

This is a film.

Shot on film.

Taken through post on film, and as far as I understand it, ended up in theatres...

on film.

It's a beautiful film. Great performances.

And the resultant Blu-ray from Fox is a fine thing on its own.

Looks like film. Great color, shadow detail (when it's called for). Everything looks in order.

Audio is DTS-HD MA.

A thought-provoking entertainment, that will raise a few hackles.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This has been on my rather long short list for some time. I figured my wife would probably rather not see it so I may try watch it some evening after she is in bed

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I saw this at the Toronto Film Festival a couple years ago. Wasn't as impressed by it as RAH seems to be, unfortunately. While harrowing, I also found the movie to be incredibly preachy, simplistic and heavy-handed. Rachel Weisz's character is depicted as pure and angelic and perfect in every way, while everyone around her is seethingly, repugnantly evil, with no middle ground in between.
Rachel Weisz was at the screening with Kathryn Bolkovac, the real woman the story is based on, who looks not even remotely anything like Rachel Weisz. While trying to be supportive of the movie, Bolkovac very clearly implied that the real story was much more complex than how the film tells it.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Movies like "The Whistleblower" are hard to watch because you know even though the story is made for exciting movie viewing the picture it paints of "human trafficking" is so very real. After watching this movie I viewed the Blu-ray of "In the Land of Blood and Honey" another very powerful movie. These movies aren't for everyone and not the type you watch over and over again. Nevertheless both titles are excellent movies telling stories about real life experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks