A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Vampire Lovers -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 5, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

Everyone loves lesbians.

Most everyone loves vampires.

Using Sheridan Le Fanu's (1814-1873) Carmilla as a basis, Hammer Films, Fantale Films and American-International, created The Vampire Lovers.

What could possibly be better than lesbian vampires?

The new Blu-ray from Scream Factory does justice to the film in a general sense.  I'm not an expert on either Hammer or Vampire Lovers.  I saw it when it arrived in the early '70s, and have no memory of what it looked like.

The film is a melange of original photography, what appears to be a bit of stock footage from other films, and various generations of dupes.  The end result is a decent quality affair.  A bit of minus density dirt (which could have been removed -- I'm thinking Olive here), but beyond that a very solid image for what is essentially a low-budget B product, that has taken a place in cinema history.

Nothing shocking here.  A post Woodstock, gothic tale of vampirism, based upon a solid piece of literature, and a perfectly acceptable Blu-ray experience.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

cannon1 and Bryan^H like this.
  2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

This is very low on my list of good Hammer films, but as a completist I decided to upgrade from my old MGM 'Midnite Movies' line. Needless to say if it is Hammer and on Blu-Ray I will get it(that even goes for the dreadful 'Taste The Blood Of Dracula' if WB ever releases it!).

Well said.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

This isn't the same transfer used for the old MGM double-feature DVD, is it? I'm hearing that it might be.

Regarding Herzog's NOSFERATU -- please, somebody, release it NOW on blu-ray. An hypnotic morbid beauty of a vampire film.

Bryan^H likes this.
  4. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Ingrid Pitt in Blu.

Sold.

5. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Beautifully designed film, Ingrid Pitt and her female co-stars (particularly Kate O'Mara) are all lovely. I've always felt this film underrated. Bring on "Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde".

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Somebody has.

7. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    The BFI are starting up a Herzog Blu-ray collection soon, though only Aguirre is currently confirmed. Nosferatu seems a dead cert though. Hopefully it'll come without the apparent DNR of the German release.

8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Yes indeed.

9. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Ingrid Pitt was also great in Where Eagles Dare (with co-star Mary Ure). The Vampire Lovers is not one of my favourite Hammer films. At the top of my list is The Brides of Dracula arriving soon on blu-ray.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I just watched this night before last, and I can't underrate this film enough. The acting is generally poor, the plot is a confusing muddle, and the film proves that nudity does not always generate eroticism. A disappointing film.

And what's with the dude with the long teeth we see on horseback from time to time? What was his purpose? It wasn't to protect his fellow vampires. I guess he just likes to watch.