What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: Season One -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Watching "The Time Element", I was immediately reminded of the accounts in Zicree's book of people writing "DESI GO HOME!!!" after the helpful explanation Arnaz provided... And then that commercial and Lucy. All I can say is my jaw simply dropped open.

I agree that this was almost worth the price of the set by itself. And I didn't realize that "The Time Element" is actually a really, really nice piece of writing. Really makes one miss the days when you could have a show sharing the work of Serling, Beaumont, Matheson and Clayton Johnson...

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
What are the odds of Image also releasing the 80's TZ on Blu? I want to pick up the two sets but not if they are going to end up releasing it on Blu. Normally I would say no but with TZ not so sure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Van594

What are the odds of Image also releasing the 80's TZ on Blu? I want to pick up the two sets but not if they are going to end up releasign it on Blu. Normally I would say no but with TZ not so sure.

By no means do I have any inside info but I would think that since that series was edited on tape, the likelihood of it coming to Blu-ray is very slim. Even with The Twilight Zone name, this series isn't half as popular as shows like all the Star Trek follow-up series*, The X-Files or Buffy The Vampire Slayer and those seem to be stuck in the same 'edited on tape' pit.

* Next Generation is supposed to be coming soon but if they're sweating over the money on something as popular as Star Trek, it seems like only the most popular/profitable shows that were edited on tape will make it to Blu-ray.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by Robert Harris

While I can't tell you what night Twilight Zone ran when I watched it as a kid, I did watch it.

It was something that people just did.

I owned the original SD releases. There seemed to be about 800 of them, and they took up so much shelf space that they were eventually relegated to a closet shelf. I'm glad to be rid of them.

Image Entertainment has finally gotten around to bringing the first season to Blu-ray, and after the Handmade films, I was concerned.

I should not have been.

These are nicely transferred. The important point is that the entire first season takes up less space than a Buick.

For those who want to return to the wonderful "duck and cover" years, and re-live those interesting evenings when no one knew what Mr. Serling had in store, or for those new to the series, this is a decades old black & white series worth the visit.

Very nicely packaged in a single case (thank you) and with high quality image and video.

Recommended.

RAH

I always enjoy your feedback, Robert.

Just curious - any particular reason why you don't give this a "Highly" recommended?  

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

God, I broke down and bought the first two seasons on Blu-ray which I swore I wouldn't do after buying them twice on SD-DVD. I'm such a sucker! Perhaps, I could've waited and got them at a cheaper price, but I got each season for 62.49 per season.

Crawdaddy

I was going to wait for the price to drop too, but got S1 for $58.42 shipped from DVDEmpire and coupon. I also never bought the DVD set (as close as I was to doing so) so it made the purchase a little easier to swallow. Either way, seems well worth it!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I asked on the review thread if anyone has any problems playing this blu ray set, so please excuse me asking you guys here. There seems to be more traffic on this thread.

I got this set yesterday and I was able to play disc 5 first and watched the Time Element. Looks great and I too was amazed to see the sequence at the end with Desi Arnaz and the Westinghouse commercial and with Lucy. However, I noticed that the disc froze 3 times during playback. Rewinding a bit did resolve it and it played on.

However, I tried disc 4 and disc 1. Both would not load, it tries and tries and then gives up. I have a Sony BDP S550 with the original firmware I bought in Dec 2008.

Travis suggested I look at firmaware updates. I'm looking and found one from Dec 2009. Has anyone else had issues playing this set? I'm doing searches on other forums. This is the first time I'm having issues. And I was really looking forward to this set! Thanks.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Read on blu-ray.com that TZ needs the very latest firmware. Update and you should be set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Ben, I will have a look at blu-ray.com. I guess I have no choice but to update the firmware.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by TravisR
By no means do I have any inside info but I would think that since that series was edited on tape, the likelihood of it coming to Blu-ray is very slim. Even with The Twilight Zone name, this series isn't half as popular as shows like all the Star Trek follow-up series*, The X-Files or Buffy The Vampire Slayer and those seem to be stuck in the same 'edited on tape' pit.
Yeah you're essentially having to jump through hoops when it comes to old 80s film-to-tape shows. For one the status of the original raw 35mm footage is unknown (CBS might have binned it after post), and if it did you're essentially going into AB Reels with multiple takes that may or not have been used in said episode. This is alleviated with the use of edit logs, but if those don't exist then the process becomes harder. To make matters worse, on several episodes of the new Twilight Zone, special effects appear to have been left in the electronic realm and not printed back to film.

Too much of a hassle. Which is why you'll never see it on Blu probably.

Trevor824

Grip
Real Name
Trevor
With the complete box set selling for $140 on DVD, is it really worth the $60 a season (meaning $300 for the full series) to buy it on Blu-ray?

Granted, I used to get the Columbia house monthly volumes at $25 for 4 episodes, so the BR is a bargain compared to that. But since I am only a casual fan, is it REALLY worth it going Blu? The reviews sound great, but is it twice as good as the DVD?

Thank you.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I thought of it this way... as I usually do when deciding to upgrade from DVD to HD. I paid 69.99 for the first season which for 36 episodes comes to less than $2.00 an episode... so Yeah it was worth every cent.

I have even been listening to all the commentary tracks as I go thru the set also.

I love film scores etc and I collect Jerry Goldsmith scores mainly... so the isolated film scores are a nice touch, esp the new ones added to the Blu edition.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

I thought of it this way... as I usually do when deciding to upgrade from DVD to HD. I paid 69.99 for the first season which for 36 episodes comes to less than $2.00 an episode... so Yeah it was worth every cent.

I have even been listening to all the commentary tracks as I go thru the set also.

I love film scores etc and I collect Jerry Goldsmith scores mainly... so the isolated film scores are a nice touch, esp the new ones added to the Blu edition.
Yeah, 2 bucks per episode ain't bad--esp. since it more or less puts you in the CBS screening room seeing a 35mm of the thing with Rod Serling.

So, for the isolated audio tracks can you use it just to play the audio. In other words, can I wash dishes while just listing to the music...?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe that's the idea of the isolated score tracks - you can listen to the music on its own. As a score aficionado myself, I can appreciate the inclusion of isolated Bernard Herrman and Jerry Goldsmith scores, among others.

As for the washing of the dishes, I see no problem there, although I find that the volume needs to be up to compete with the sound of the running water...

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Originally Posted by Trevor824

With the complete box set selling for $140 on DVD, is it really worth the $60 a season (meaning $300 for the full series) to buy it on Blu-ray?

Granted, I used to get the Columbia house monthly volumes at $25 for 4 episodes, so the BR is a bargain compared to that. But since I am only a casual fan, is it REALLY worth it going Blu? The reviews sound great, but is it twice as good as the DVD?

Thank you.

Trevor, one thing to consider in your decision is that the fourth season is so bad (even Rod felt this way, see the Zicree book for a quote), that there's not much of a reason to watch it more than once. So you'd really only be buying four seasons of TZ on blu at $60 a pop.

Just something to consider.

-R

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by Trevor824

Thank you.

In my opinion, they are twice as good (or even more) than DVD, but it really depends on how much you like TZ. It's hard to place a value on it for someone else, but in my opinion if you watch them enough, it's definitely worth it.

I just received mine a few minutes ago (the mailman was actually early today), and all I can say is WOW. I don't say that very often. The video looks like 35mm film, as if you are in a darkened theatre watching a newly struck print on opening weekend. But the sound...the SOUND. It is astounding! The purest sounding audio I have EVER heard....amazing! Can you tell I love this set already? And kudos for finding the missing "Next On" promos. Finally seeing the visuals for the One For The Angels promo was great...the last release just had audio and I had to imagine what it looked like.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
My finally arrived in the mail yesterday. Watched half of "Walking Distance" and "The Time Element". Very impressed. Need to throw it on the big screen tonight.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks