What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sun Shines Bright -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Ford's The Sun Shines Bright, is an "interesting" film.

As a 1953 release, it was on the cusp of movements toward real racial equality, but in many ways it plays like the re-make of the 1934 Will Rogers film, Judge Priest, which it basically is, down to the inclusion of Stepin Fetchit, a slow-moving "yowsah-speaking," intelligent black actor, whose career went back to 1925, literally the dark ages, when it came to racial propriety.

While I don't want to ponder on Mr. Fetchit, who was a superb comedic actor (real name Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry, born in Key West Florida. I'm going to quote here from iMDB:

"Stepin Fetchit was an evolution of a later construction, the "coon" who undermined his white oppressors by denying his labor and cooperation through an act of defiance that included the appearance of being lazy and stupid. Essential to the "coon" persona was talking in what to white ears is gibberish (which Perry excelled at), but which to black folk can be understood and contains barbed insults to "The Man." What rankles so badly (since the Coon remains a stereotype that resonates in African-American culture) is that white audiences swallowed Perry's Stepin Fetchit act whole, as a true representation of a "Negro.""

And this is the single point, as much as I love the works of Mr. Ford, which gives me consummate discomfort about this film. It's the same feeling that I had, when referencing Technicolor's original cutting continuity to Jesse James (1939), which (apparently not knowing his name) referred to actor Ernest Whitman in shorthand as "darky." That's the kind of thing, even in historical perspective, that make the hair on the back of my head stand at attention.

1953!

That aside, Olive's new Blu-ray via Paramount, is a nice affair. I find it a bit overly-grainy -- I have no idea what's going on, but the grain is right in one's face, and needn't be.

Gray scale is quite nice. Black levels fine. All in all, a very nice outing for a new Blu-ray.

Mr. Ford, whether joking or not, commented that this was one of his favorites in his pantheon of works. He directed over 2500 films over a 90 year span.

What's important is that we now have one more late Ford production, and generally speaking the Blu-ray is a treasure. I'll not mention the need for a bit of digital clean-up.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Recommended.

RAH

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Can you confirm that the Blu-ray is the 100 minute version prepared by Ford? Or is it the 90 minute theatrical release?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Great news. I think Ford was serious about his love for this film. As much as he loved Will Rogers, I think he also appreciated having an actor play Judge Priest that he could direct.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
t1g3r5fan said:
Can you confirm that the Blu-ray is the 100 minute version prepared by Ford? Or is it the 90 minute theatrical release?
The cover art lists the running time of the film at 101 minutes.

I watched this film shortly after its release. I made the following post in the Olive Film Discussion thread back on June 2nd:
I watched my copy of Olive's The Sun Shines Bright last night.

This is a John Ford movie I had never seen before.

Quite an interesting film. If I hadn't been aware of when it was made (1953) I'd have sworn it was made decades earlier. While parts of it were predictable, storylines that been done in many subsequent films (the stopping of an ill-advised lynch mob at the jailhouse door, for example) these were all done so well (outside of some stiff-acting) that they were a pleasure to watch.

I just loved a scene in which a funeral procession wound its way through the small town in which the film is set. Loved it. The silence, the seriousness, the implications, the reaction shots...all golden.

Visually, I thought the transfer looked really good. The soundtrack was a little off. The hiss and lack of frequency range made some of the dialogue hard to understand--especially the dialects of the black actors (which might've been difficult to understand even in the theater). The film was set in 1905 Kentucky.

All in all a nice little film. I could see where John Ford considered it one of his favorites...but there are so many more for him from which to choose! :biggrin:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A marvellous film: I've always liked Olive's Blu-ray disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks