What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sting -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I like the "with a bit less effort" bit. I think the trouble is that maybe now & certantly in the future, people will be working on these things not knowing what they (or film come to that) should look like, but they will have some powerful digital tools at their disposal, which they will be expected to use.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/320885/a-few-words-about-the-sting-in-blu-ray#post_3928018
I like the "with a bit less effort" bit. I think the trouble is that maybe now & certantly in the future, people will be working on these things not knowing what they (or film come to that) should look like, but they will have some powerful digital tools at their disposal, which they will be expected to use.

Your point, which is known, is well taken. "We're being paid the big buck. Gotta use them tools!"

It's just so sad.

We're losing film. Not simply in projection, but the entire look and texture of film is being lost to knob turning.

RAH

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yeah, "From High Resolution 35mm Original Film Elements" makes me laugh too. At least it's not "Beyond High Definition" while actually being high definition. The hyperbole kills me. I keep expecting to find a new Blu-ray sticker that states the material was "Half-speed Mastered onto 180 gram Audiophile Vinyl."
I like digital restoration when it's used to repair an actual problem, like the camera flicker and image stabilization problems in All Quiet on the Western Front, or excessive dirt and tears that mar the picture. I don't like it when it's used to wipe the image clean as in Patton or to subtract and then arbitrarily add static grain as in Star Wars or accidentally delete essential image information as in Citizen Kane (original DVD).
It's strange how film's qualities always baffle the common consumer, or at least the studio's perception of the common consumer. We've moved Joe Six Pack from "fool screen" by giving him a giant widescreen TV and now he sees all these "ants" running over the screen and thinks old movies are defective.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
That's a bummer.
I mean, I'm buying this. I have to. It's THE STING. It's Newman and Redford and George Roy Hill. How can you not?
I had hoped that this was going to be *the* release.
Doesn't make me feel great about the other upcoming releases from Universal.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Somehow I have never managed to own The Sting on any video format. Not LD, not DVD, certainly not VHS or Beta. Not sure why not, certainly no good reason up until now.
I guess the pattern will continue, and now for a good reason.
This is why my policy about Universal products is a firm no-blind-buy policy.
Thanks RAH from saving me from another disaster.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
RAH I have been waiting for your post on this release. I'm really at odds with wanting to watch this release. The main fact is that I have NEVER seen The Sting. I know shocking but I was hoping this BLU release would be my best chance. I don't understand that some of these companies in this case feel the need to keep ruining their releases. It is obvious they are aware... proof is the re-issue of Out of Africa.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How does the blu-ray compare to the HD-DVD? I may just keep using that.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by bgart13 /t/320885/a-few-words-about-the-sting-in-blu-ray#post_3928044
I'm beginning to dread how the Uni monster movies will look...
not to mention the rumored Hitchcock box of all the Uni titles

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I, too, have the HD-DVD, so I'm fixed for The Sting at the present time. I do think it's one of the most purely entertaining films ever made, and one that is so beautifully written that its puzzle pieces fit snugly together to work like a charm.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
bgart13 said:
I'm beginning to dread how the Uni monster movies will look...
Why do you mean "beginning"? Since when have Universal given any cause for enthusiasm?
People should not be at all surprised by these releases.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I was initially hopeful that this 100th anniversary thing would mean improved treatment for these titles. But as each release and its reviews have come around, it has become more clear that the end results would be mediocre. Or at least good but not as great as they ought to be. Too bad.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Why does everyone take RAH's assessment to mean "disaster" and pass on this release? He said he couldn't give it his highest recommendation due to a bit of excessive digital manipulation, but he did give it some praise (read paragraph 3). I will purchase it and I'm sure I will be quite happy with it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
rsmithjr said:
Somehow I have never managed to own The Sting on any video format. Not LD, not DVD, certainly not VHS or Beta. Not sure why not, certainly no good reason up until now.
I guess the pattern will continue, and now for a good reason.
This is why my policy about Universal products is a firm no-blind-buy policy.
Thanks RAH from saving me from another disaster.
To be both clear, and fair, this Blu-ray is not a disaster. Most people will love it. The problem is that I was expecting perfection, and didn't see if.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark-P said:
Why does everyone take RAH's assessment to mean "disaster" and pass on this release? He said he couldn't give it his highest recommendation due to a bit of excessive digital manipulation, but he did give it some praise (read paragraph 3). I will purchase it and I'm sure I will be quite happy with it.
Precisely. Most everyone will be happy with it. Let me make the point again.
I was expecting perfection, especially with a "fully restored" 100th anniversary release.
And didn't receive it.
I would not pass on this release. As to questions re: the HD version, and a comparison, I'll try to get to that tomorrow.
RAH

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
As to questions re: the HD version, and a comparison, I'll try to get to that tomorrow.
RAH
I look forward to that, as I have the HDDVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/320885/a-few-words-about-the-sting-in-blu-ray#post_3928095

There you go. If RAH never posted his comments, I bet most here would've been perfectly happy with this BRD because their lack of expertise and different equipment the product is being viewed on.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks