A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sound of Music -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    '
    It's currently $19.99 on Amazon.ca as well for Canadians, though with a crazy 2 month ship date. I bought it since I never saw the film. Ifigure if I don;t like it I can flip the boxset for the same price.

2. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I had always missed this thread for some reason, and Robert Harris, if you are still subscribed, I would like to ask you a question about this. Many people who have projected this movie in theaters have complained on threads here at HTF and other sites that the sound on the film is still not as good as was originally presented. Now in the short "restoring the sound" they show them at computer screen remastering this soundtrack, and one of the men shows us how they cut everything off above a certain level because it is "noise" on the high end. So we see him removing everything above a certain line. But if you look closely, there are signals there as well (above the lines). I submit to you that this was where the original tape hiss was (because there was no Dolby noise reduction in those days).

Now I have not heard of any modern day magic that can remove tape hiss without removing everything else in that area of the signal. Many complaints that the high end is missing here, and it is. Listen to the gold laserdisc CD and even the soundtracks on all versions up to the blu-ray restoration and the upper end is there. I do not hear, nor do many other SOM fans the extreme upper end which would include mainly instruments like horns on the blu-ray soundtrack. Have they cut out the very high end by taking the tape hiss and removing it? I think Fox wanted a "hiss free" soundtrack which this should not be.

Personally, I would much rather have the tape hiss still there and retain the very high end. I think so much was hurt by doing this. The chorus at the end singing "Climb Every Mountain," and so much of the orchestra recording. Listen to the 40th anniversary edition or the laserdiscs. That high end is fantastic. The richness of the recording is better now, but I will always feel that we have lost the very high end of the recording of this soundtrack and I really feel Fox should correct this and remove the filters that were used on the high end to cut it off at a certain point to eliminate the original tape hiss. Joe Caps certainly agrees and he has worked in remastering and knows his business. He hates the new soundtrack for its loss of high end.

Does anyone else agree? Mr. Harris, any input? I Mean your My Fair Lady has a much better high end as does Oklahoma, recorded 10 years earlier. I really want Fox to correct this and don't know how to get this heard.

3. warnerbro

warnerbro Second Unit

Darrell
    This film actually won an Oscar for sound, but the folks who worked on this soundtrack cut off the ends of speeches ("Oh, Max, what did they sa--"), completely jettisoned many sound effects like the thigh slap, her kiss to Leisel (during the "MY FAVORITE THINGS" reprise Maria blows Liesel a kiss) and many others. This is my favorite film of all time and seeing it in a theatre gives you chills on that opening spin.

4. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Hi Warnerbro:) I agree with you. So many negative changes to this soundtrack, and it is my favorite film as well. No movie even comes close. I only want this to sound the way it should, is that asking too much? Come on Shawn B at Fox, hear us and please do something before you release a 4k edition. Don't let this soundtrack remain as the only one we will ever hear again. You know, I would even be happy with the addition of the soundtrack from the 40th anniversary DVD in DTS MA. But every time I watch this now, I regret the sound.

warnerbro likes this.
  5. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I also prefer the old soundtrack. There was never anything wrong with the sound. Why "restore" it?

warnerbro likes this.
  6. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Hi Rob :) All my friends are responding hehe. I am back, was away for a year.

Like I said earlier, what they should have done is use the new soundtrack as "remastered" and provided the original soundtrack (like Disney did with Mary Poppins) and present them both in lossless and let us decide which one we want to listen to. Now we are forced to listen to a soundtrack in which all of the high end is gone. I've always said 'GIVE ME THE TAPE HISS PLEASE." When there's tape hiss, you know it is not filtered. They are trying to please the younger digital crowds by taking all of the tape hiss away and trying to say "See how this sounds like a modern recording?" Well it ISN'T, and so we lose the high end of what is many people's all time favorite movie. It's us purists and fans of the movie who really lose out. Yes, I really pissed off about this. We were so close to finally getting the movie down right for the first time in 7 or 8 remasters. And then they have the nerve to throw that "King and I bluray at us. What has happened to Fox Home Entertainment.

warnerbro likes this.
  7. warnerbro

warnerbro Second Unit

Darrell
    Yes, I agree, THE KING AND I is an unwatchable smeared, weird colors, stretched mess! What the beep were they thinking? Did no one even look at it at quality control before it went out?

8. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

It is really sad considering the Rodgers and Hammerstein films are really one of the best collections that Fox has, each one should have been treated like Oklahoma's Todd-AO version was as well as South Pacific, those two were done right both audio and video.

9. warnerbro

warnerbro Second Unit

Darrell
    Yes, Oklahoma and South Pacific both look stunning and correct. I wish they would give us an HD South Pacific Roadshow though. I love the Road Show version and it's in SD which is unfortunate.