What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sound of Music -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Robert Harris said:
Dye transfer prints were produced for the UK market, and several survive, but how color correct they may be...
If there were in fact dye prints, then the matrices must exist. In any event, I'm sure the color on any surviving dye prints would be a better reference than what they have done with this Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Techman707

While I agree with everything you're saying, in the case of this Blu-ray transfer, the color is definitely off. Having run all sorts of prints over the past 45 years, I'm well aware that EVERY print's color is different. With Technicolor prints, when they used "short ends" to make up a 2000 ft. reel, the color can be profoundly different even within the same reel.
I'm unaware of of "short ends" ever being used on dye transfer prints. There are occasional joins, with a loss of image value at a splice, but the concept of "short end" does not fit into the technology.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While sets of matrices do survive on a number of films, I'm unaware of a set on The Sound of Music. If a set did survive, I have no idea what purpose it might serve. There is no correlation between the production of dye transfer prints and the current existence of matrices.

RAH

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I got around to watching this Blu yesterday. It looked and sounded fantastic. The last time I watched it was back on Laserdisc when the colors were washed out and it looked terrible. I had a great time seeing it again.

FatherMurphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Wes Candela
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Mr Harris.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Hello. Thank you. For everything. Your work is incredible. I'm a huge fan, and wanted to thank you for everything you have done to save the films we all love.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]i know this is off the subject...[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]I had a question about "Vertigo" that I wondered about, and luckily I found your profile here...so maybe I could get an answer straight from an authority on the film.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]I'm disappointed the film is not available on blu-ray yet, as I am sure many others are. However, the other day I was watching HBO Signature HD. They had "Vertigo" playing. I recorded this on my HD DVR. I played the film back...and it was astonishing, I have never seen it look like that. I own the DVD Re-master you helped create (Thank you again!!) and I grew up with the film, watching it on TMC (the movie channel) back in the 1980's when I was 10 or so was my first experience with it. I remember it clearly as a milestone in my film education. My question is, the version HBO ran...is this the HD version of what you had restored in the late 90's? It looked different from even the DVD...besides being in HD...it seemed Hyper Clean...scart detail. Just gorgeous...really stunning, so if paramount has this film already in this type of condition, is it the one you did and why can't they simply release that with the lossless DTS soundtrack you and your team crafted? Thanks,[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(48, 48, 48)]Wes[/COLOR]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wes:

Welcome to the HTF!
48476d7b_welcome.gif

I will let your last post stand...but please, for the future, realize that the HTF has a fine search function which will yield all kinds of results for a subject like Vertigo. For example, THIS thread which contains great info from RAH on the restoration. There are also many others in which you have placed such a question.

That helps us keep the place organized when people do come looking for specific information/discussion.

Plus, Mr. Harris has his own sub-forum within our Talk With The Insider's area where you could pose such a query.

FatherMurphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Wes Candela
Mike:

Thanks so much for the info here. This page is exactly what i was looking for ...ha.
I'm still trying to navigate the site a bit, its incredible.
i can transfer t to the appropriate post section, no problem,...i don't want to have a "Vertigo" discussion in the "Sound Of Music" section.

Thanks Again Mike.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
We were never really happy with the result as the image seemed to lose its warmth. We were told that this was due to the different colour temperature of the Xenon lamp.

The color temperature for carbon arc is roughly 5000 degrees kelvin, while Xenon runs around 6000 degrees kelvin. So a print projected with a carbon arc lamphouse would look somewhat "warmer" than the same print projected with Xenon.

Vern

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Can I just say that this is one of the few places where I can come to learn about film stock, processing and projection? Threads like this one are why I joined HTF so many years ago.

I've not had the pleasure of seeing SOM in a theater so I can't comment on differences between screenings and the BD. All I can do is comment on my impressions of the current transfer. The clarity of the transfer is remarkable. It pains me that large format film is pretty much a thing of the past. It delivers such a wonderful experience that cannot be matched by 35mm or any form of digital capture. When a 70mm film is properly transfered to HD, the results are breathtaking. The color does seem very different from what I've seen on home video in the past, but it doesn't appear glaringly-incorrect. By that I mean that nothing stands out as being unnatural. It would be nice to have the Director and Cinematographer alive and with all their faculties intact to give their approval, but that simply can't happen. I'm more-than-happy with the current release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The American Society of Cinematographers used to sell back issues of American Cinematographer online, and they had the issue from 1965 that covered the film. I balked at the price and never bought it. It would come in handy right now.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The American Society of Cinematographers used to sell back issues of American Cinematographer online, and they had the issue from 1965 that covered the film. I balked at the price and never bought it. It would come in handy right now.
The Public Library in Cincy has issues dating back to the 1950s. I'll try and go there tomorrow to look at the article for any pertinent info. Happy to put my Librarian skillz to good use in the service of my fellow Film Buffs!

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Robert Harris said:
I'm unaware of of "short ends" ever being used on dye transfer prints. There are occasional joins, with a loss of image value at a splice, but the concept of "short end" does not fit into the technology.

RAH
I've never seen short ends used on anything other than Technicolor dye prints. Maybe we have are talking about different things. Unless a premium was paid (or not paid), they would put together whatever pieces of black & white stock they had to run through the matrice. When the dye prints are made, different pieces of stock (even of the exact same number) absorb the dyes differently, which virtually always results in a color shift at those points of the 2000ft reel.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Robert Harris said:
survive, I have no idea what purpose it might serve. There is no correlation between the production of dye transfer prints and the current existence of matrices.

RAH
I don't understand why you say "If a set did survive, I have no idea what purpose it might serve."? I there was a good set of Y C M matrice of the SOM, aside from being able to make new 35mm dye prints, the color of those prints could be used as a better color reference than what they have done on this Blu-ray. As I've previously said, I've never seen or heard of dye prints of SOM, so I really doubt that there is a matrice available. Although I don't know it first hand, I'm told that China is still making dye prints. I wonder if they're still using all the old equipment got from Technicolor in the early 1970s?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Harris said:
survive, I have no idea what purpose it might serve."? I there was a good set of Y C M matrice of the SOM, aside from being able to make new 35mm dye prints, the color of those prints could be used as a better color reference than what they have done on this Blu-ray. As I've previously said, I've never seen or heard of dye prints of SOM, so I really doubt that there is a matrice available. Although I don't know it first hand, I'm told that China is still making dye prints. I wonder if they're still using all the old equipment got from Technicolor in the early 1970s?
The Chinese "Technicolor" plant was shut down in 1993. In 1997 Technicolor re-introduced the dye transfer process for general release films and was used on Apocalypse Now Redux, Pearl Harbor, and Toy Story to name a few.

The process was discontinued by Technicolor in 2002. As far as I know there is no lab in the world today able to do the dye transfer process. However there is no reason why the 3 b&w film elements could not be combined in a computer. This is after all how Warner's Ultra Resolution process works.

Having said that, I don't think the matrices elements themselves would be a good color reference with out knowing exactly how those elements were combined in the first place. You could print them almost anyway you liked and it wouldn't necessarily match the original look of the film. Add to that, how do we know that the Technicolor prints looked anything like the Eastman 70mm prints. I think thats probably unlikely.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree completely, Doug. Matrices are just tools: a set of three colour records that could easily be manipulated, and unless you have a decent colour print reference from which to work, you're just guessing.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Robert Harris said:
The Chinese "Technicolor" plant was shut down in 1993. In 1997 Technicolor re-introduced the dye transfer process for general release films and was used on Apocalypse Now Redux, Pearl Harbor, and Toy Story to name a few.

The process was discontinued by Technicolor in 2002. As far as I know there is no lab in the world today able to do the dye transfer process. However there is no reason why the 3 b&w film elements could not be combined in a computer. This is after all how Warner's Ultra Resolution process works.

Having said that, I don't think the matrices elements themselves would be a good color reference with out knowing exactly how those elements were combined in the first place. You could print them almost anyway you liked and it wouldn't necessarily match the original look of the film. Add to that, how do we know that the Technicolor prints looked anything like the Eastman 70mm prints. I think thats probably unlikely.

Doug
Thanks for that info. I've been retired since 1996 and never saw any of the "new" dye prints you mention. I was also unaware that China totally ceased making dye prints anymore. That's too bad, but I can't believe that there is NOWHERE in the world a dye print can be made from a matrice. While attempting to look into the SOM Technicolor matrice situation, I learned OTHER bad news. I was told that Technicolor is now in the process of shutting down ALL its FILM operations, which is personally sad to me. However, I'm told they will still be distributing digital pictures for DCI theatres on key protected hard drives like they currently do. I still don't understand what their actual function will be, unless they will be involved with "some" film operations for transfer purposes, etc.

You mentioned the software Warner Bros. used to re-register Gone With The Wind. That software is excellent, especially when compared to the manual abortion MGM did with the 70mm re-issue of GWTW in 1969. Between the registration problems and the terrible Eastman prints (both 70mm flat and 35mm anamorphic) that they made, it appeared at one point that GWTW could be lost forever.

As for the illusive SOM matrices that have been talked about (if one or more should exist), the matrices wouldn't need any subjective adjustments. Each of the dyes that Technicolor used had a specific Chromaticity. The correct chromaticity of the yellow, cyan and magenta dyes are all that would be needed (in addition to the high pressure Technicolor processing equipment. -LOL), to make a faithful print. The actual color intensity and shading are already encoded and predetermined in the matrice, it's not something someone just guesses about. That notwithstanding, I'm sure that here in the U.S., or somewhere else in the world (China or India), there's a lab that can take the matrice and create an accurate digital master using a process similar to the way prints from B&W separation negatives of pictures are made. Again, the most important thing is the YCM chromaticity, whether done through an actual dye transfer or electronically generated YCM color coordinates. Whatever argument that could be made, the color would be much closer to the original than the color on the current Blu-ray. I don't know why you seem to believe the color on a 70mm print shoud be that "different" than a 35mm print. Other than resolution and color saturation because of frame sizes, they "should" look essentially the same. Those differences would (or should) only be noticed on a very large screens. If every time a print was struck from the matrice someone had to subjectively adjust the color and shading, no two prints would ever look the same. The measurement of color chromaticity measurement equipment has come a long way in the last 45 years. Virtually perfect color matches can be made with spectroradiometers today. Eyeballing just doesn't cut it anymore.

P.S. Despite the SOM prints here in the U.S. being Eastman prints, I know for sure that they made some trailers that were dye prints. I had a 35mm dye trailer they made to announce the 1 year anniversary at the Rivoli. I gave it to a friend of mine last year. Since the color stays perfect, If he still has it....or can find it, I'd like to check what some of the scenes look like compared to the Blu-ray. I'm pretty sure that the blues in the mountains and a number of other scenes are way off in this Blu-ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are we talking about matrices (which were used for printing) or panchromatic separations? I assumed it was the latter that would be where to get a record of each segment of the color spectrum.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
subjective adjustments said:
If every time a print was struck from the matrice someone had to subjectively adjust the color and shading, no two prints would ever look the same.
Exactly. No prints ever do look exactly the same. Even the same print projected in a different theater under different conditions won't look the same. But prints produced through the same process will definitely look closer than prints produced through different processes.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't know why you seem to believe the color on a 70mm print shoud be that "different" than a 35mm print. Other than resolution and color saturation because of frame sizes, they "should" look essentially the same. Those differences would (or should) only be noticed on a very large screens. If every time a print was struck from the matrice someone had to subjectively adjust the color and shading, no two prints would ever look the same. The measurement of color chromaticity measurement equipment has come a long way in the last 45 years. Virtually perfect color matches can be made with spectroradiometers today. Eyeballing just doesn't cut it anymore.
The 70mm prints were made on Eastman film stock, and as such would have a considerably different look from a Technicolor dye transfer print regardless of its gauge.

Doug

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Are we talking about matrices (which were used for printing) or panchromatic separations? I assumed it was the latter that would be where to get a record of each segment of the color spectrum.
I was talking about printing matrices, but I was pointing out that the ideas are similar. We're not talking about "subtle" differences in color. The Blu-ray of SOM simply has the wrong color in many scenes. The reason I say "many scenes" is because in the other scenes the color could be wrong but without specific obvious references like green grass or blue sky, as long as the skin tones are reasonable, the human eye compensates. I compared the Technicolor matrices to panchromatic separations because the theory of both are similar. In the case of the matrices, once the dye chromaticity is correct, there is nothing subjective in the final print. While there may be subtle differences between an Eastman print when compared to an IB print, other than color saturation the difference shouldn't be that great on a properly timed Eastman print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks