What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Seventh Seal -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Damn this looks like an amazing bluray - I only wish Criterion would release this (and other blu titles) into the UK, or consider encoding region-free discs...

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
The depths that HTFer's will stoop to in order to bitch about something never ceases to amaze me.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
So I could re-open an old wound for people who've never touched film, never worked on a feature film, never seen theatrically the classic films they critic on blu ray, or who generally live through the internet.

Or perhaps it was just because I'd forgotten about this thread for six months because I was working.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by 24fpssean

So I could re-open an old wound for people who've never touched film, never worked on a feature film, never seen theatrically the classic films they critic on blu ray, or who generally live through the internet.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one with any scar tissue showing here.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It would be a different story of course if "The" was missing from say the on screen title of, The Magnificent Seven, that would detract from my enjoyment of the film, in fact I'll be pretty pissed off and demand my money back. But since it happened to a foreign film, who cares?

Thanks for the review RAH, The Seventh Seal is one of my favourite Swedish films, not that I've seen many. I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. But I did enjoy Let the Right One in..

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

It's not the fact that it's a foreign film. Rather, it's the fact that it's clearly on the print (without the "Det") that was provided by Svensk Filmindustri to Criterion. So there are clearly versions out there where the title is "Seventh Seal" rather than "The Seventh Seal". Film titles weren't always as set in stone 50+ years ago like they are today, and could vary print to print more than one being authorized.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Look what happened when they dropped the "The" off The Last Year At Marienbad. Now there are people who swear the whole movie doesn't make sense to them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

If someone pulls out the "I let the thread go because I was busy with real life and not stuck on the Internet like you mouth-breathing nerds" card, they shouldn't leave evidence of their own mouth-breathing nerd-dom!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JohnMor

Look what happened when they dropped the "The" off The Last Year At Marienbad. Now there are people who swear the whole movie doesn't make sense to them.

Now I understand the confusion. I must have seen one of those prints. Precisely the same situation probably applies with the print of Antonioni's Avventura that was screened for us numerous times in film classes, as we could never understand what occurred, as someone simply vanished mid-film. Imagine if one could find the original version of The Picnic at Hanging Rock, before the loss.

RAH

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Wow this has turned into a big CJ. What did I miss? People get so flustered when Criterion's infallibility is called into question and then praise the company to high heaven when they release a BD that actually looks the way a BD should look. An impersonal website triumph for you all! Congrats!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by 24fpssean

Wow this has turned into a big CJ. What did I miss? People get so flustered when Criterion's infallibility is called into question and then praise the company to high heaven when they release a BD that actually looks the way a BD should look. An impersonal website triumph for you all! Congrats!

Again, it's not a matter of being flustered or hypocritical or whatever else you may like to shape it as, but a matter of understanding that minor differences in film prints do occur, and then choosing whether or not it's big enough to become concerned about. Everyone will have their own barometer for where they stand on the scope of the difference, but I think it's safe to say this particular instance registers with most people as extremely minor and nearly irrelevant. You are, of course, free to disagree, but you're simply gonna be in the minority.

Have you tried asking Criterion why the word is missing on their Facebook page? I suspect they'll confirm my supposition that it's how the print they sourced their transfer from appears, but maybe they'll surprise us all.

24fpssean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
From DVDBeaver:

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]"Probably from the same Svensk Filmindustri source all three editions show only the "Seventh Seal" portion of the title as if someone blacked out the "The" (or "Det"). There is even a space there."[/COLOR]

Not that it matters. The outcome is the same. They all die in the end. Except for the Actor and his wife and kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks