A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sandlot -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

There have been wonderful baseball movies over the decades.  Some bio-pics, others historical, and then a few that have taken on a certain mythos.  The Natural was one.  Field of Dreams, which shares a superb actor with The Sandlot, another.

The Sandlot takes a tiny bit of wonderful baseball mythos, and blends it with textures of any number of coming of age films, such as Stand By Me.  The result is warmly felt, sweetly textured, and true to growing up in the '60s.

Here's where it gets interesting, a bit confusing.  At least to me.

The brand, spanking new Blu-ray of the David Mickey Evans film, which is an official 20th Anniversary Edition (you can tell by the red stitching on the ball), is available for $15 on Amazon.  It comes with a small set of "collectible" baseball cards.

Then there's an old edition, that goes back to the dark ages of Blu-ray - 2011.

The 2011 Blu-ray has a very nice transfer, no baseball cards, and it isn't an official Anniversary release.  Well, the 18th.  That Blu-ray is under $10 on Amazon.

And both releases appear to be derived from the same very nice master.

I guess, my confusion is why this film needed a 20th Anniversary release, when it had an 18th?

Bottom line.  If you don't have a copy of this superb little film on Blu-ray, you really should, as it's a charmer.

The only question is which release is best to own.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

2. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Thanks for the recommendation. Apart from the baseball cards, the primary difference between this and the 2011 release seems to be the inclusion of a DVD of the film on the new two-disc set.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Quite correct. Was discussing the extra DVD, digital copy, digital download concept yesterday, with Mr. Gregorich. I understand that people want to play films on portable devices, in the back seats of cars, etc. What I don't get, aside from minimal cost to the studio, is why the double dip in this case, after so short a period. I've compared the two discs, and this is a new pressing, with an attractive slipcase. These are not old Blu-ray discs, being used up. I have no reference for the DVD.RAH

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    RAH,

It's probably marketing thinking they can sell more units with a new pressing timed to be released during the start of baseball season.