What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Comparing Shout Factory's new Blu-ray of Lewis John Carlino's The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea with my old Image DVD, was an unpleasant experience.

The disc opens with Shout Factory's logo, which I presume was made to look a bit digital.

A simple single menu gets you to the feature presentation.

The original logo has been snipped.

And from that moment on everything goes down hill.

Rapidly.

The opening credits, which once had depth, beautiful color and a very precise look, are now totally banded and corrupted.

Color and densities are non-existent, and by that I mean that it appears that no one bothered to look at them.

There is no shadow detail. Many scenes play far too dark. Flesh tones do not exist.

This is a film that was beautifully photographed by the great British cinematographer Douglas Slocombe...

who should sue for attempted assassination of his reputation.

This Blu-ray is on my short list as one of the worst ever created.

It makes Patton look like a treasure.

I'll be keeping my DVD, and disposing of the Blu-ray.

Worthless garbage, which, for all I know, may be derived from an up-rezzed standard def master.

Image - minus 2

Audio - 2

RAH

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ouch!! I was interested in picking this up at some point (although I have to say I remember the controversy surrounding it more than the film itself!). It is now stricken from my list.

Thanks, RAH, for letting us know about this disaster.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Thanks for the warning. Maybe I'll just wait for "The Astronaut Who Fell from Grace with Space". At least that rhymes. :rolleyes:

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
A
Real disappointment. I was sooo looking forward to this. Ive never ever sent any film back...but feel I want to do that with this one because I bought two and embarrassed to give to my nephew.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I assume Shout is working with whatever the rights holder supplied, which sounds like a piece of shite. A shame.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stephen_J_H said:
I assume Shout is working with whatever the rights holder supplied, which sounds like a piece of shite. A shame.
Rejecting a master is always an option.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm curious why Shout decided to go ahead with releasing this on Blu-ray in such a poor quality - they're known for having high standards. Is this a Shout Select title? (sold on their website only) - that's where they usually dump this kind of material if they feel something won't sell well or, in this case, something that's sub-par quality. What they should've done was release the film in a triple feature collection on DVD only. It would have made justifying a purchase more easily.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm shocked, having reviewed several of Shout Factory's titles. Especially since they have very often acknowledged when the material may appear to be sub-par (or questionable) by printing a disclaimer to the fact on the cover and at the beginning of the film (or TV episode). Ernie Kovacs Collection, Humanoids From The Deep, and one or two episodes of MST3K come to mind.

Originally Posted by cineMANIAC /t/321847/a-few-words-about-the-sailor-who-fell-from-grace-with-the-sea-in-blu-ray#post_3943979
I'm curious why Shout decided to go ahead with releasing this on Blu-ray in such a poor quality - they're known for having high standards. Is this a Shout Select title? (sold on their website only) - that's where they usually dump this kind of material if they feel something won't sell well or, in this case, something that's sub-par quality. What they should've done was release the film in a triple feature collection on DVD only. It would have made justifying a purchase more easily.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Shame! Shout! Shame! SHOUT! shame!
Will wait for a significant price drop. I don't have the DVD and now those are price too high. This lil' film ain't worth all this trouble.

JohnMarion

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Here's what Shout Factory says:
Beautiful, eerie and erotic, this spellbinder has been restored from archival elements to its original widescreen glory.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarion /t/321847/a-few-words-about-the-sailor-who-fell-from-grace-with-the-sea-in-blu-ray#post_3945463
Beautiful, eerie and erotic, this spellbinder has been restored from archival elements to its original widescreen glory.
Whatever house did the "restoration" work should be burned to the ground.

RAH

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This big question is why they just didn't release this on a DVD? At least then it might pass as a mediocre/lackluster SD transfer. Shout! still sells quite a bit of DVD-only titles and this should have been one of them. Not to mention I don't think there are many Castle Hill film transfers that are less than 15 years old.
I would have probably bought it on DVD at a discount, since the old Image disc appears ultra-rare and way too expensive. But for a blu-ray that can be called "one of the worst ever created" and "makes Patton (the blu-ray) look like a treasure" is something I'll be keeping a pretty sizeable distance from.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
JohnMarion said:
Someone's brain should be opened and dissected by a bunch of smartass kids. Just sayin'...! :p

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/321847/a-few-words-about-the-sailor-who-fell-from-grace-with-the-sea-in-blu-ray#post_3945788
Someone's brain should be opened and dissected by a bunch of smartass kids. Just sayin'...! :p

My presumption of realty is, that their marketing people are totally out of sync with their production people, and their production people, when supplied a master, didn't turn away in horror.

RAH

Noir Voyeur

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Simon
cineMANIAC said:
I'm not sure it's true to say that Shout! are known for having high standards any more. This isn't their first mess-up, not by a long way.
Robert Harris said:
My presumption of realty is, that their marketing people are totally out of sync with their production people, and their production people, when supplied a master, didn't turn away in horror.
RAH
This film has one of the most intriguing titles of all films, but having read several reviews (of the film itself, not this particular release), I've decided it's not a film I would be interested in seeing.
Which is just as well, since then I would be railing against Shout! Factory and their Blu-ray release, which Robert Harris calls "Worthless garbage, which, for all I know, may be derived from an up-rezzed standard def master."
It really raises the larger question: Just what the heck are Shout! Factory playing at??
They're already in my bad books for recently releasing Route 66 with the first dozen or so episodes presented in the same bootleg quality that had previously been issued by Roxbury. This, after having indicated in their pre-release publicity that improvements would be forthcoming.
I think RAH is right on the money with his presumption that Shout's marketing people are totally out of sync with their production people. Either that, or there is no clear vision from the top regarding what constitutes "high standards" and so each department is free to interpret it as they see fit. What's really puzzling is that any department can fail to recognize that the Blu-ray format brings with it higher expectations regarding picture and sound quality, and to release something which doesn't come anywhere near those expectations is inviting disaster.
At some point, somebody has to say "Look, we can't release this, the way it is ... reviewers will jump all over it, it won't sell, and it will damage our reputation."
It seems they're just not having these conversations at Shout! Factory right now. :confused:

walter o

Supporting Actor
Whatever house did the "restoration" work should be burned to the ground.

RAH
I know who did, this is not Shout's fault. They were given what the licensor gave them, , and this "restore person" is one of the biggest bunglers in film history. I can;t say his name, but let's say if anyone enjoyed his "restoration" of CASTLE OF THE LVIING DEAD, and the fact he thinks 16x9 means "tall and stretched" when he telecines it, or to him a 4:3 widescreen is anamorphic, and a DigiBeta telecine means telecine film onto a BetaSP, then BUMP it to DBC, or his amazing color corrected restoration of COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, then you get the idea what kind of a restoration fellow worked on SAILOR, sadly. And he is still employed by this East Coast lab!!! So again, this is not Shouts fault, as they were given what was given by the licensor.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by walter o /t/321847/a-few-words-about-the-sailor-who-fell-from-grace-with-the-sea-in-blu-ray#post_3951914
I know who did, this is not Shout's fault. They were given what the licensor gave them, since the licensor thinks this "restoration guy" is a genius, when he is one of the biggest bunglers in film history. I can;t say his name, but let's say if anyone enjoyed his "restoration" of CASTLE OF THE LVIING DEAD, and the fact he thinks 16x9 means "tall and stretched" when he telecines it, or to him a 4:3 widescreen is anamorphic, and a DigiBeta telecine means telecine film onto a BetaSP, then BUMP it to DBC, or his amazing color corrected restoration of COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, then you get the idea what kind of a restoration fellow worked on SAILOR, sadly. And he is still employed by this East Coast lab!!! So again, this is not Shouts fault, as they were given what was given by the licensor.
The lab needs to be shut down.

Seriously. Before they do more damage.

Far too many places doing home made "restoration" work.

If you need medical attention, do you go to the Yellow Pages and call the first place listed, usually AAA, AAAA or Acme?

I'm all for archivists being licensed.

Reminds me of the old Newhart routine about the Mrs. Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Company.

Let's just get them shut down. Don't harm either humans or animals, but get them shut down.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks