What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Roots of Heaven -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As we move a bit further along the Eastman color 5248 trail, things generally get progressively worse when it comes to dye fade.

But interestingly, Fox has been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat with The Roots of Heaven.

There will be obvious interest from fans of John Huston, and another group tuning in to see Errol Flynn's final studio performance, looking far older than his 49 years. But on the average studio hit list for preservation, The Roots of Heaven is not an obvious target.

This is not to say that the film isn't of interest, but while all of the pieces seem to be in place, and at a certain point in the film, moving all in the right direction, as a film The Roots of Heaven seems to fizzle a bit more than half way through.

The film elements have a different look from Twilight Time's companion piece, Picnic, with the TRoH elements showing more wear, apparently coming from an older interpositive that had seen a few runs. Nothing problematic, just not anything near pristine. Color, for a 1958 production, is very good, and showing no real fade.

Mr. Flynn, one of the favorite actors, had quite a run from 1935 to 1953. Eighteen years filled with classic performances in over fifteen quality films. This is not one of them.

It is, however, worthy of a rental.

RAH

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
I have a real fondness for this film, not least of all because it feels to me like we're seeing John Huston work through a change of heart on his ideas of hunting and his responsibility to the natural world. The script has substantial problems and while the photography of the elephants on the plain is magnificent, the Blu-ray clarity draws attention to the matte lines when Husto drops actors against the photography. But the performances, and Huston's affection for underdog heroes battling greater forces with little more than heart and determination, pull it through.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who may not have experienced White Hunter, Black Heart, I suggest a viewing.

RAH

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
White Hunter, Black Heart is *essential* Eastwood. I was astonished the first time I saw The Roots of Heaven, not least because the story's core message is so prescient. Flynn, I think, gives a very moving performance; his The Shootist.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by John Hodson

White Hunter, Black Heart is *essential* Eastwood.
I was astonished the first time I saw The Roots of Heaven, not least because the story's core message is so prescient. Flynn, I think, gives a very moving performance; his The Shootist.

Now you're mentioning one of the really important ones.

The Shootist, which should be out on Blu, is essential Wayne/Stewart.

What a great film with superb performances.

RAH

Real Name
Robin Frank
When I was growing up, I saw this film on TV and loved it. It was on fairly often and I watched it as often as I could. It had a worthy message, and back then, the characters seemed plausible. When I heard it was available on Blu-ray, my first thought was to buy it. Then I thought about it and had to admit some of the characters lacked depth and some seemd contrived. When I thought also of the technical aspects of the film, I realized that having seen the advances in technology and realism in films since then, I'd likely be disappointed, seeing it today, though I can still hear the theme music running in my head. I decided I'd rather have fond memories than be disappointed. I hope that doesn't make me sound like an idiot.

Real Name
Robin Frank
When I was growing up, I saw this film on TV and loved it. It was on fairly often and I watched it as often as I could. It had a worthy message, and back then, the characters seemed plausible. When I heard it was available on Blu-ray, my first thought was to buy it. Then I thought about it and had to admit some of the characters lacked depth and some seemd contrived. When I thought also of the technical aspects of the film, I realized that having seen the advances in technology and realism in films since then, I'd likely be disappointed, seeing it today, though I can still hear the theme music running in my head. I decided I'd rather have fond memories than be disappointed. I hope that doesn't make me sound like an idiot.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
This will be my first viewing experience, it just arrived and hopefully others will purchase it as well and support Twilight Time as much as possible. Personally films such as this are still more entertaining than a good number of movies made today ( always enjoy Trevor Howard ). Still need to add Picnic and looking forward to Pal Joey, Bite The Bullet as well as Demetrius and the Gladiators.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks