A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Robe -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I think the Blu-ray of The Robe looks simply splendid. I will be grateful if Demetrius and the Gladiators approaches it in quality. The DVD we have now is filled with dirt and debris.

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Twilight Time did confirm that they are using a new transfer for their disc. Looks very promising.
    Actually haven't gotten around to watching The Robe despite owning the blu-ray. This upcoming Easter will probably change that. Might make a good double feature with the upcoming Twilight Time disc.

3. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    The commentary track on THE ROBE is one of my favs since I am a film score buff. Love that track.

4. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

As we all know now, the BD of Demetrius and the Gladiators was a big disappointment. I just viewed it and was not pleased. No clean-up work done and there were some color and resolution issues. It deserved the same treatment as The Robe, but didn't get it. I can't believe that Fox has no plans for it beyond the 2k scan done for this release. More asset protection work needs to be done, since I have a very hard time believing that any "restoration" was done on the title as described earlier in this thread. The audio is not configured correctly. It's L-R-LS-RS. Not L-C-R-S. A shame.

5. Guest

The word on Demetrius was that the exisiting elements are dupes and the OCN is unusable, unlike The Robe and The Egyptian.

6. Lromero1396

The press release for the BD stated that the OCN was 'severely deteriorated'. The OCN on How to Marry a Millionaire was also severely deteriorated with severe vinegar syndrome and could still be used for an image harvest. I'm assuming that the OCN could not be used on the budget that the studio would alot for this. I'd like to her about what exactly the studio has done in terms of preserving Demetrius, such as creating a new IP for longevity's sake. Regardless, the BD should have looked better.

7. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    I like this historical perspective Mr. Harris, and have used it myself, although not stated quite as succinctly. Some movies really do represent that kind of 'game change' in production/exhibition technology and effect on audiences, and I agree that The Robe was certainly one of them. In terms of cinema's meta timeline, there's "BR"...and "AR"* if you will. ;) This Blu-ray release is also "special" in another key respect; the fact that The Robe was not only shot but also completed both spherically and anamorphically, with both versions available in this edition via the P-I-P feature. Seldom have we had the privilege of seeing what might have been had studio decisions about a new filmmaking technology gone the other way. The only other example that immediately comes to mind is The Big Trail, presented in both Academy and Grandeur formats**. The staging and performances, as well as the overall rythmn of scenes in the flat vs. 'scope versions of these films were markedly different during many stretches, and as a movie geek, I'm grateful to be able to finally see that. If nothing else, by including this 'parallel universe' flat version of The Robe Fox has provided a rare insight into how much of an effect the introduction of widescreen composition had on the 'feel' of the entire era of films that followed. * Cheesy pun intended, and hopefully forgiven. ** I suppose the recent aspect ratio buffet on Criterion's On the Waterfront Blu-ray would qualify, but I don't quite count it...even though its various framings played quite differently, they were not shot separately.

8. Guest

I can't watch the Demetrius blu ray. The audio sync is just off way too much on my copy.

9. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I'm still hoping that The Robe gets a UK release (the US release is region locked). Two region locked Fox catalogue titles are at last being released in the UK this June, Patton & The Sand Pebbles. This is not a huge favorite of mine, but 50's ancient world epic, the first cinemascope film, plus extras, I'd just have to buy it.

10. Lromero1396

If it gets a reissue, it'd be nice to see a second disc included with the flat version. That way the film could be viewed in its entirety with sound synced. It'd also be nice to see a release of Demetrius and the Gladiators overseas in the UK. Even though I don't import titles, I would certainly make an exception for a superior UK release of Demetrius.

11. Lromero1396

That is one of the major reasons why I didn't buy it, since I wasn't sure if it would work on my player. Incorrectly configured audio and a disappointing transfer also were major factors in my decision not to purchase.

12. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Stanley
    ROclockCK, Allansfirebird and RMajidi like this.
  13. skylark68

skylark68 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    Thanks Dr. Griffin. Great article. It really sheds some light on how much work goes into restoration on a film that has deteriorated quite a bit. I actually enjoy this film quite a bit, but have always liked Biblical epics for the most part.

Dr Griffin and RMajidi like this.
  14. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Personally, I love The Robe, great story, simply incredible score by Alfred Newman, the remarkable Caligula that Jay Robison contributed, Victor Mature in certainly his finest performance. The Fox restoration blu-ray is at the top of my most prized and re-watched. I'm also really pleased with the TT blu-ray of Demetrius (far more than Hawaii). I guess I'm just hoping for more of them to come out in HD, meticulously restored or not and maybe from the WB Archive, especially Robert Wise's fabulous Helen of Troy.

skylark68 likes this.
  15. Dr Griffin

Stanley
    Wow, worse than Demetrius BD (which I've seen through a friend). That is some food for thought since I haven't ordered Hawaii yet. As bad as the DVD is of Demetrius it has directional dialogue and didn't look as bad as I remembered, and I never got the TT Blu-ray.

16. Dr Griffin

Stanley
    On Academy Awards day, The Robe was nominated for Best Picture; Best Actor: Richard Burton; Color Cinematography: Leon Shamroy; Color Art Direction/Set Decoration, for which it won; Color Costume Design,for which it won.