What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Right Stuff -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
how do you fit that in a top ten list? I can't
Not speaking for RAH, but

a) Not trying to be condescending but the question of a personal top ten list is so subjective that I doubt anyone's top ten looks the same. Even the Sight and Sound top ten is an aggregate. The point being that consensus does not exist amongst noted film makers, critics, etc.
b) The film is a magnificent epic that really conveys the sense of adventure and spirit that was part of the 'Space Race'.

Like I said before, not a top ten film for me, but I admire it enough to believe that others would place it in their personal top ten films.

- Walter.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This film is special for me, because I grew up about 1/2 mile away from the temporary NASA headquarters in Houston, before the huge Manned Spacecraft Center opened out in the suburbs. I can remember Gordon Cooper and Scott Carpenter jogging through the neighborhood and watching the launches on TV as if they were "our boys."

I remember either Time or Newsweek giving the film a cover story, trumpeting it as a shoo-in for the Oscar and everyone being amazed when it proved to be a box-office disappointment. I did have a minor problem with how clownish they made LBJ, but seeing the film at Hollywood's Chinese Theatre was an experience I'll never forget. It was the first film I ever saw there.

I can't count it among my top ten, but it IS a magnificent film.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I've always thought the varying tones of this film to be one of its great strengths.

A movie that's only, unrelentingly, jingoistically heroic makes me pull back; I don't trust it. It's selling too hard.

But a movie that shows me the astronauts running down the hall with enema bags, and then shows them being brave as all get out getting shot out into space as spam in a can? A movie that gives us at least a glimpse of what it was like to be an astronaut's wife? Yes, please.

Sobering, stray thought: There's more time between us now and the movie's release than between the events the movie depicts and its release. Get busy livin'.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I remember either Time or Newsweek giving the film a cover story, trumpeting it as a shoo-in for the Oscar and everyone being amazed when it proved to be a box-office disappointment.
My recollection is that Newseek had a cover story asking "Can a Movie Help Elect a President?," tying in John Glenn's 1983-4 run for president.

Let's see if we can find it...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Robert Harris said:
Still can understand why it didn't get Best Picture. Was just chatting with an associate who did some of the capsule fx work on the film, who I've asked to post, and possibly answer a few questions.

RAH
You mean why did it loose to such a powerful masterpiece as Terms of Endearment? One of the greatest romances of all time? starring the great Jack Nicholson?! WHY YOU ASK?!?!? WHY?!?!?

Because the Academy gets it wrong most of the time! That's why.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Scott Merryfield said:
While the humor didn't put me off, I could see the sequences with Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer taking some folks out of the film -- they do seem a little out of place.
Which is why the walk-on part by the real life Chuck Yeager, talking to those bozos, is so wonderful.

"Y'all wanna drink whiskey?" :P

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
You make room. It's not too difficult.

RAH
with stuff like the Godfather ,Kane,2001,and Lawrence I would have a hard time fitting in the six spaces left I just think the Director is not a top ten director
Hes has made some very good films ,But for my taste he's missing a great visual sense

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, I am guessing that you haven't seen Kaufman's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Unbearable Lightness of Being or Henry and June. In my opinon, he has a fairly unique visual sense that is always surprising and sometimes disorienting. Never boring and the Right Stuff proves he can make a truly heroic film! I can't wait to have this on Blu-Ray!!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Robert Harris said:
To those who have never seen The Right Stuff, I'm jealous of your ability to see it for the first time, especially in this quality.

Audio - 5 (Dolby True HD Advance - 96k upsampling)
This blu will be the first time I will ever be laying eyes on the film. Was always curious. Even more curious to that Audio track of 96K upsampling. With my new receiver and martin logan speakers esp the front 3 electrostat speakers I can't wait hear if I notice better sound or not. I think there are very very few BLU releases with that audio format.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I have always liked this film and can't wait to get the blu. It sounds like it'll be fantastic. Also not one of my top ten films. Maybe not even top 20, but hovering thereabouts.

Growing up in Houston in the late 60's, the moon race was always close to home. I even got to meet Sally Rand once, as her grandson was a classmate and he got her to come to our class and bring her fans for show and tell. I always smile at the scene of her dancing in the film.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Growing up in Houston in the late 60's, the moon race was always close to home.
I grew up near Houston during that time era and yes the space program was a big deal in the '60s. I still fondly recall Jules Bergman's (Jules - what a great name for a science reporter) coverage of the program.

- Walter.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Peter Neski said:
[*]I thought it was pretty good ,top ten of all time? was that what you meant? or were you talking about 80's films
[/list]
Certainly in my top ten of all time.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
marshman1138 said:
Peter, I am guessing that you haven't seen Kaufman's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Unbearable Lightness of Being or Henry and June. In my opinon, he has a fairly unique visual sense that is always surprising and sometimes disorienting. Never boring and the Right Stuff proves he can make a truly heroic film! I can't wait to have this on Blu-Ray!!
Yes I saw all of those ,and the Wanderers The Right Stuff,could be a great BR ,

More a Writer-Director writer first ,who hires fine DPs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks