What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Professionals -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

I had never heard of The Professionals before, so I am interested
The whole cast is great in this one, maybe esp. Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster.

Lee Marvin's last lines in the film are classic! Don't want to give them away, but I cracked up my wife and kids doing an impression of it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

I had never heard of The Professionals before, so I am interested

Although I am a fan of the Western genre, this film had somehow flow under my radar, too. This thread was the reason I bought the BD and saw the movie for the first time.

It's one of the reasons I love HTF -- discovering terrific films I've never seen.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
By coincidence I only decided to upgrade my DVD to the BD (I'm trying to keep those double dips to a minimum), recently and my copy was bought last week and watched this. I'm now wandering why I didn't do it sooner, visually and sonically it's well worth the upgrade.

There are barrel loads of westerns I'd love to see on BD, but right now, for various reasons, I'd love to see The Alamo (I have everything crossed), The Big Country, One-Eyed Jacks and Wild Rovers. I also saw a gorgeous HD broadcast of Johnny Guitar recently which made my mouth water...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Damn, you guys are going to cause me to pull out my BRD to view this great film once more. As I stated earlier, I think the film dialogue in among the best ever written for a western/action film.

Crawdaddy

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by John Hodson

By coincidence I only decided to upgrade my DVD to the BD (I'm trying to keep those double dips to a minimum), recently and my copy was bought last week and watched this. I'm now wandering why I didn't do it sooner, visually and sonically it's well worth the upgrade.

There are barrel loads of westerns I'd love to see on BD, but right now, for various reasons, I'd love to see The Alamo (I have everything crossed), The Big Country, One-Eyed Jacks and Wild Rovers. I also saw a gorgeous HD broadcast of Johnny Guitar recently which made my mouth water...
Would like to see these on blu...Because I like Westerns a lot, and I have to confess I haven't seen any of them except about half of The Alamo about 20 years ago...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I ended up buying the UK version of this BD because it was about $12, versus the domestic version, which I could never find for less than $20 (link attached if anyone interested). It's region-free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professionals-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B0017ZM0LE/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1288879033&sr=1-5

A minor quibble, but why isn't Burt Lancaster on the cover of either release (both have the same cover)? He was the biggest star at the time. Still, I'm not knocking me some Claudia Cardinale, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan or Woody Strode. But Jack Palance as the baddie (or IS he?) versus Burt Lancaster is a penultimate classic showdown in ANY Western. And credit director Richard Brooks for massaging a lot of the great dialogue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think that's Lancaster face on the spine of the case and his name is the first one listed in order.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Shameful that Wild Rovers hasn't even rated a DVD release. I have hung onto my laserdisc of that (and The roadshow Alamo) because their futures look so bleak.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
this film looks so good on blu-ray! couldn't be better! Anyone have "The Wild Bunch" how does that compare on blu-ray?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

A minor quibble, but why isn't Burt Lancaster on the cover of either release (both have the same cover)? He was the biggest star at the time. Still, I'm not knocking me some Claudia Cardinale, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan or Woody Strode. But Jack Palance as the baddie (or IS he?) versus Burt Lancaster is a penultimate classic showdown in ANY Western. And credit director Richard Brooks for massaging a lot of the great dialogue.
That's not the cover of my US cover - this is...

http://www.amazon.com/Professionals-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B000HEVZ76/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1289001674&sr=8-5

A better image and Burt Lancaster accounted for and present on the far left!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That's funny; talk about photo-shop collaging characters together in a shot that doesn't exist from the film. But at least they got Burt in there, squeezing Claudio out in the back.

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams

That's not the cover of my US cover - this is...

http://www.amazon.com/Professionals-Blu-ray-Burt-Lancaster/dp/B000HEVZ76/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1289001674&sr=8-5

A better image and Burt Lancaster accounted for and present on the far left!

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Picked up "The Professionals" along with "The Quick and the Dead" (package deal) for $14.99 at Amazon a while back, quite pleased with this. "The Professionals" was a blind buy btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks