What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't recall any other actor having a voice anything like Sterling Holloway, who voice's Mr. Pooh in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. While most current viewers will recognize his voice, Mr. Holloway was a motion picture staple for over half a century, including an appearance as the fire chief in Stanley Kramer's only comedy.

I believe his first appearance in a Disney animated feature was in (Dumbo) 1941, but I may be wrong. He can be heard in Bambi (1942), in which he voiced the adult Flower, The Three Caballeros (1944), Make Mine Music (1946), Peter and the Wolf (1946), Alice in Wonderland (1951 - the Cheshire Cat), Lambert the Sheepish Lion (1952), Ben and Me (1953), The Jungle Book (1967 - Kaa, the snake), as well as The Aristocats (1970).

Many Adventures is precisely that. It's a re-edited feature of three shorts, Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree (1966), Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day (1968), and Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (1974). A Day for Eeyore is an added extra, along with shorts.

TMAoWtP is a terrific film for children, but will easily hold the attention of adults. The transitions, going to the pages of a book are a delight.

The Blu-ray is stunning. Unfortunately, it has gone through the typical Disney clean-up, which is inclusive of the removal of every bit of live grain. But that's an old story.

A beautiful Disney compendium of short films into a feature, and a beautifully produced Blu-ray.

Image - 3.5 (I'd give another 1.5 for just a bit of live grain)

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The problem with the recent Disney features is that they have been clogging up the spidery xerox lines. It makes it look more like inking, but totally destroys the line weights of the animators. This is on top of all the other abominations. Disney makes the crappiest blu-rays in animation. Even Olive Films is better.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
In addition to Sterling Holloway, I think Edward Everett Horton was another fantastic and very recognizable voice in animated (as well as live) films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Is there any Disney animation available on Blu-ray anywhere in the world without the horrible degraining and ink-line smudging? Other than Pete's Dragon, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and this disc's transfer of Winnie the Pooh and a Day for Eeyore, I can think of zero off the top of my head.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Disney has a stranglehold on its animated catalog worldwide. You will not find a situation involving Disney animation in which different studios hold the rights to a particular movie in different countries, and one issues a better transfer than the other.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Disney has the most annoying disk authoring in the video business. Endless trailers, popups in credits, unnavigatable menus, stupid supplements. I've given up on them completely, and I'm a huge animation fan.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
bigshot said:
Disney has the most annoying disk authoring in the video business. Endless trailers, popups in credits, unnavigatable menus, stupid supplements. I've given up on them completely, and I'm a huge animation fan.
And you can bypass those trailers on every player I've ever had. What's wrong the menus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks