A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Had anyone suggested a year ago that I'd be discussing this film, especially as a Blu-ray release, I would have thought it implausible. But here again, Blue Underground has outdone what some others seem incapable of doing, which is to take a pre-print element, and without making changes, harvest an image and create a Blu-ray disc in full film quality.

Living Dead, which borrows from its many progenitors, has an interesting slant on the subject, as it places the action within the gorgeous greenery of an invested town in Northwestern England. That beauty sets this film apart from virtually every other take on the subject.

Blue Underground is now unfailingly selecting elements, making the most of them, and creating Blu-rays that most of the filmmakers could not have imagined.

Living Dead is a pleasant surprise, and a genuinely creepy film, brought to Blu-ray with what we can now refer to as being in true Blue Underground style, which stands for the highest of quality. Of course, this means that the audio is in 7.1 DTS-HD.

Recommended.

RAH

2. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    well put!

I watched this one Saturday night and of course like all Blue Underground releases they can be a bit hard to find for sale at retail chains. They just are NOT stocked! (Locations vary for sure)

I ordered it from amazon for about 16.99. I have NEVER EVER seen this film before, but I find myself purchasing their BD releases because they do release great HD transfers and I feel that their work should recieve better sales.

The transfer is what it should be. The locations were really nice in the film and it was a different take on the Zombie genre which in 74 wasn't far behind Night of the Living Dead.

I am just curious but I can almost bet the most requested HD tittle from Blue Underground has to be Suspiria. I am sure they have plans for the title, but I have a feeling that release on BD will look incredible. I can't wait.

**side note this BD release offers an original MONO soundtrack in additon to the 7.1 dts lossless audio.

3. 42nd Street Freak

42nd Street Freak Supporting Actor

Yeah...this actually beat "Dawn" out of the full colour, flesh munching, zombie gore film gate.

That superb soundtrack (the moans and wails are one of the most creepy audio moments in any horror film ever) should sound groovy in 7:1!

Wonderful film.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    My bet would be that Blue won't release until they have a superb product.

RAH

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I don't believe Blue Underground has the rights to SUSPIRIA anymore. In 2007, a "restored" High-Definition version of SUSPIRIA was screened digitally at Cannes, and the Weinstein Company picked up the rights to it (along with MOTHER OF TEARS) but has been sitting on it since. A Blu-ray of this "restoration" has been released in Italy, and the image quality is, well, controversial (check out www.landofwhimsy.com for some details). The Anchor Bay/Blue Underground version on DVD had its own major problem- specifically, a remixed soundtrack that drops a bunch of sound effects, music cues, and even dialogue while not offering the original brilliant 4-track mag stereo mix from 1977 as a viewing option.

Vincent

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's what I had heard too. So does that mean that Universal owns it now since I thought that The Weinstein Company sold them their catalog?

7. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    That is good information to know. Very interesting. Oddly enough I would think having distribution thru Universal would hold this release back a long time... however if there are a lot of issues over the new transfer etc... well I would want them to get the release done right no matter who releases it.

8. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

I just read it and I STILL find it implausible! :D I admire that your appreciation of film extends even to the netherworld of low-budget Italian zombie horror, Robert.