What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Jewel in the Crown -- in DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 1984 multiple award-winning series from UK's Granada Television, has been released via PBS in a remastered anniversary edition, and the tech new is good.

Photographed in 16mm by Ray Goode, who was also behind the camera for many of the Sherlock Holmes productions, Jewel appears newly minted, albeit in standard definition, and with nominal (not problematic) sharpening of the image -- almost the norm for DVD.

Color and densities appear superb, and detail, even is SD is obvious.

While an image scan of all fourteen or so hours, would be an expensive undertaking in HD, the quality and history of the series, could make it a prudent investment, especially should the original film elements become problematic over time.

With a great cast of both television, as well as cinema players on screen, The Jewel in the Crown is a treat for the eyes, ears, and mind. For those aware of high end UK players, you'll find Tim Pigott-Smith in the lead, supported by the likes of Dame Peggy Ashcroft (The 39 Steps, A Passage to India), Eric Porter, Charles Dance, Rachel Kempson aka Lady Redgrave (Georgy Girl, Tom Jones, and a wonderful turn from Zia Mohyeddin (Lawrence of Arabia).

For those in the snowier zones, this is one to pick up and hope for bad weather and the time to view it respectfully.

Image - 4 (for DVD)

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

johnmn

Grip
Real Name
John
Mr. Harris,

It appears that this PBS release was taken from a full-fledged 2K (HD) restoration undertaken by the BBC:

http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproduction.com/blog/digital-media-services-puts-jewel-crown/

I can't find any indication of a UK release at all (nothing at Amazon UK other than the old DVD set)--but it seems strange that such a laborious restoration would result in nothing more than a standard-def release. If you get wind of a high-def release, either in the US or the UK, please let your readers know. Thanks!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I'm sure that everyone realises that whilst US tv always (I think) worked in 35mm the UK saved money and went for the grossly inferior 16mm - well before Super 16 with an increased picture area improved quality.

As a (then) tv sound person I shared the general frustration amongst technicians that non technical people set the standards by controlling the budget of materials and time.

Another example is that the BBC wouldn't standardise on Dolby A for their 1 inch VTRs and all transmission Masters supplied by outside facilities, one of which I worked for, had to make a non-Dolby dub for delivery. So any subsequent present day reissue 'improvement' efforts with Cedar or similar (frequently misused) completes a counter productive cycle. 1 inch sound quality was reasonable with Dolby A for the couple of generations required by VT editing but was dire without.

From general knowledge I can tell you that Jewel In The Crown was transmitted off film in the days before telecine transfer came to be regarded as a part of the production process. I can't remember details but one episode went out very badly for reasons of carelessness. It's possible that they then changed to tape transfer.

I welcome this extensive new effort and would certainly buy a Blu-ray set were it to emerge. Considering the effort and money expended to make this marvellous major series on location in India and studios in Manchester the saving using 16 mm instead of 35 mm was very stupid. And it was made in mono.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
Can anyone comment on how the recent PBS showing of "Jewel" compares with the new dvd release? Is picture quality comparable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks