What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The James Dean Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I received my U.K. set today. I can confirm that the Blu-rays are region-free. I haven't played the DVDs yet, but they are labeled Region 2. That's not an issue for me because I have region-free players.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'll probably import the UK set, considering the pricetag discrepancy (as I've done in the past for Universal's Hitchcock and Monsters sets, and various other boxes). I have a Region-free DVD player for the DVD's...and since I already have all the movies (and the Stevens doc) on R1 DVD, it's even less of a concern. As long as the BD's are Region-free, I'm good to go.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched East of Eden from the James Dean/UK set last night. Marvelous for the most part. Strange, though, how there are isolated shots of Julie Harris that are very soft. I don't remember noticing that on the DVD, but I haven't watched it in quite a while, and I'm sure it's part of the original photography.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Paul Rossen said:
I believe that sometime ago within this Forum it was established that The Big Country was indeed in stereo.
When was this established? I have a soundtrack LP album of the score for The Big Country that I bought in the 70's, and it was in fake "reprocessed for stereo effect" stereo. The soundtrack of the complete score on CD and the re-issued original soundtrack on CD are both mono. It would seem to me there would have been an authentic stereo release of the soundtrack if the film had been recorded in stereo.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Matt Hough said:
I watched East of Eden from the James Dean/UK set last night. Marvelous for the most part. Strange, though, how there are isolated shots of Julie Harris that are very soft. I don't remember noticing that on the DVD, but I haven't watched it in quite a while, and I'm sure it's part of the original photography.
I watched it last night as well and noticed the same thing, It's a wonderful film.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
There's been some great information in this thread about the film elements, and it's good to know going in, but even all that didn't prepare me for Giant. Giant does have highs and lows, but it's the frequency with which it changes from shot to shot that is the unsettling thing about it. As hard as it is to watch a non-anamorphic DVD nowadays, the old Giant DVD, it seems, wasn't really the problem. The quality of the image from shot to shot literally changes constantly throughout the entire film. I can understand the issue with dissolves, it's the shots between the dissolves that seem to change drastically just about every other scene. All this is of course that much more exaggerated on Blu-ray. I imagine the worst of the scenes look truly terrible when projected large. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have Giant on Blu-ray in 1080/24p at 1.66:1. The film looks probably better than any of us may have ever seen it, but unfortunately it is a rather jarring experience.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
schtan said:
There's been some great information in this thread about the film elements, and it's good to know going in, but even all that didn't prepare me for Giant. Giant does have highs and lows, but it's the frequency with which it changes from shot to shot that is the unsettling thing about it. As hard as it is to watch a non-anamorphic DVD nowadays, the old Giant DVD, it seems, wasn't really the problem. The quality of the image from shot to shot literally changes constantly throughout the entire film. I can understand the issue with dissolves, it's the shots between the dissolves that seem to change drastically just about every other scene. All this is of course that much more exaggerated on Blu-ray. I imagine the worst of the scenes look truly terrible when projected large. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have Giant on Blu-ray in 1080/24p at 1.66:1. The film looks probably better than any of us may have ever seen it, but unfortunately it is a rather jarring experience.
There is not one shot that isn't an optical or part of a multi-pass optical that looks bad. Watch carefully and you will see that clearly, as long as you know what shots are opticals. The old DVD is horrendous in comparison and I do mean night and day horrendous.

Here's what I have to say about Giant: It's a bloody miracle transfer with great color and the opticals, which are a major part of the running time, look better than they ever have (just a comparison with the DVD will tell you that) - but the shots that aren't part of outgoing, continuous or incoming opticals, look great. This film looked like crap in the theater and this presentation is everything anyone can ever hope for from Giant. The team who worked on this deserves and should get nothing but major kudos and congratulations because what they have performed here is nothing short of amazing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
There is not one shot that isn't an optical or part of a multi-pass optical that looks bad. Watch carefully and you will see that clearly, as long as you know what shots are opticals. The old DVD is horrendous in comparison and I do mean night and day horrendous.

Here's what I have to say about Giant: It's a bloody miracle transfer with great color and the opticals, which are a major part of the running time, look better than they ever have (just a comparison with the DVD will tell you that) - but the shots that aren't part of outgoing, continuous or incoming opticals, look great. This film looked like crap in the theater and this presentation is everything anyone can ever hope for from Giant. The team who worked on this deserves and should get nothing but major kudos and congratulations because what they have performed here is nothing short of amazing.
MPI with the help of today's technical advances did wonders that might not have been possible 10 years ago without a lot more money and time being invested in that process.

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
I absolutely love GIANT and I couldn't be more pleased with the new Blu Ray. The picture quality is amazing, particularly when compared to the previous DVD version, and the single digibook edition is beautifully done-it is quite large and has a nice substantial feel/look to it. I personally consider this to be a very important and culturally significant movie and it was one of the earliest classic movies that I viewed as a young teenager on VHS that immediately made a favorable impression on me. I agree with the oft-used description that the movie is indeed an "Intimate Epic". I would personally classify GIANT as one of those rare "Perfect" movies as the acting, story, direction, and production design all combine to make for a very enjoyable viewing experience. Warner Bros. deserves a great deal of praise and thanks for the outstanding work they performed on restoring this great American Classic. I look forward to purchasing more Elizabeth Taylor movies on Blu Ray in the (hopefully) not too distant future, particularly NATIONAL VELVET, RAINTREE COUNTY, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, and A PLACE IN THE SUN.

One of my most cherished possessions is an original GIANT production costume design sketch by Moss Mabry for Elizabeth Taylor, complete with George Stevens handwritten approval/initials on the front and a copy of the original wardrobe test photo taken on the set. It was acquired directly from Mr. Mabry's estate several years ago and was one of several original Elizabeth Taylor GIANT costume designs that he had on display in his home; he was very proud of his work on this movie and it proved to be one of his most challenging career experiences due to the massive # of costume changes required for Elizabeth Taylor's character in the movie. Moss Mabry, who was given the responsibility of designing Elizabeth Taylor's costumes for this magnificent film, along with fellow designer/collaborator Marjorie Best, who was in charge of designing the costumes for the other principal actors, both shared the Oscar nomination for Best Color Costume Design for GIANT.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I actually found two or three shots that might be confusing, as they aren't part of the incoming or outgoing optical - but they are indeed opticals where the frame has been optically zoomed in - it's really only a couple of shots, but that's the story with them.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
SS NORMANDIE said:
I look forward to purchasing more Elizabeth Taylor movies on Blu Ray in the (hopefully) not too distant future, particularly NATIONAL VELVET, RAINTREE COUNTY, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, and A PLACE IN THE SUN.

One of my most cherished possessions is an original GIANT production costume design sketch by Moss Mabry for Elizabeth Taylor, complete with George Stevens handwritten approval/initials on the front and a copy of the original wardrobe test photo taken on the set.
Great to meet another Elizabeth Taylor fan! You're very lucky to have that item in your collection!

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
schtan said:
...I imagine the worst of the scenes look truly terrible when projected large...
I watched it projected last sunday and enjoyed every minute of it. Some shots looked not as amazing as the most of it, but nothing looked terrible.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Persianimmortal said:
I'm very happy with the Aussie set precisely because it's just the three movies in a single case, and no shelf-hogging books, posters etc. The Australian set does have some extras on the discs though, for those who are into that sort of thing, as I list here. The great thing is that with we have different versions of the James Dean set across the world to suit different tastes and price points. Regardless of which one anyone goes for, I can't imagine that they'll be disappointed - at least in the quality of the movies themselves.
Having all three films in a single case is a tremendous plus for me - especially when the transfers are identical to the US/UK releases. Thanks Persianimmortal for listing the special features included on each disc. Based on your recommendation, I ordered them from down under for $30 shipped.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Thanks for the info on the Aussie set...just ordered it.

I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Watched all three in my home theatre this week, projected from a JVC DLA-X55 onto a 110" screen I thought all three films looked mighty fine! Giant is the most impressive IMO, especially when you consider the shape that the film was in on the old DVD. I must say that I was a little disappointed in the audio on Giant however, there where quite a lot of crackles and pops whenever the soundtrack looked for bass (the train pulling into the station, or the musical score) which I felt was a bit distracting. Reminded me of similar instances I found in the BD of White Heat, also from Warner. Could be due to the source material they're working with however, certainly wasn't down to my equipment as I tried the disc on another HT of mine in the lounge and it exhibited the same problems.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
A bit unfortunate that there are so many opticals in Giant 'cause, man, they look terrible. Whenever the quality drops I found myself going "Oh, there's a dissolve coming up".

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Steen DK said:
Whenever the quality drops I found myself going "Oh, there's a dissolve coming up".
But that was always so when one used to see films from that era on the theatre screen. I always rather enjoyed being able to spot the imminent dissolve.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Douglas R said:
But that was always so when one used to see films from that era on the theatre screen. I always rather enjoyed being able to spot the imminent dissolve.
Giant doesn't just exhibit your standard few second dissolve. There are massive sections in comparison. Giant has the most frequently changing video quality of any Blu-ray I have yet seen. This is inherent to the source, so I understand there is nothing to be done. Warner is to be commended for bringing this to Blu-ray looking as good as it does and for the decision to frame it in 1.66:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks