What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The James Dean Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Can we now crown Warner as the King of catalog Blu-rays? Their track record of late has been unblemished.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Robert Harris said:

Three great films, from three great filmmakers, all of which have beautifully stood the test of time.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH
I ordered my copy yesterday (from amazon.co.uk), because of your recomandation. Thanks. :)

Sadly enough, I never watched Giant and EoE (or better I don't remember it ^^), so it will be a first now. :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
McCructhy said:
Those that purchased the UK version of this set might be interested to know that the extra DVD from the US set (the documentary George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey) can be had for as low as $4.99 with Fulfillment by Amazon from Marketplace sellers right now.
I grabbed the last $4.99 copy, but they still have 15 copies available for $5.49.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Robert Harris said:
No true stereo tracks or stems are known to exist. All original prints were mono. There may have been an attempt at faux stereo for the c. 1967 dye transfer re-issue.RAH
When I was a projectionist, I knew several knowledgeable old timers who swore that there were stereo prints of Giant. One told how the sound required "riding gain" on the channels as well as overall to get a good result. These reports were made in the early 60's.

Similar stories for The Big Country.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
rsmithjr said:
When I was a projectionist, I knew several knowledgeable old timers who swore that there were stereo prints of Giant. One told how the sound required "riding gain" on the channels as well as overall to get a good result. These reports were made in the early 60's. Similar stories for The Big Country.
I believe there may have been mag / opt prints of Giant, which may have been mono or faux stereo. As to Big Country, I asked that question of Mr. Peck, who was a producer on the film, and he had no memory of it being stereo. I never researched further.RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
I believe there may have been mag / opt prints of Giant, which may have been mono or faux stereo. As to Big Country, I asked that question of Mr. Peck, who was a producer on the film, and he had no memory of it being stereo. I never researched further.RAH
I believe that sometime ago within this Forum it was established that The Big Country was indeed in stereo.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? I bought the UK set and find the Rebel transfer disappointing. Color is good but the picture just has a soft look to it on my big projection screen. On the other hand I'm now screening Jumbo which looks beautiful. Since you gave them both a 5 for video I'm puzzled. Anyone else looked at the UK Rebel?

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Gary16 said:
Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? ...
I can't imagine that Warner uses different transfers.

What languages are on the US-Discs? If the usual european languages on it (german for example), than it is a worldwide release.
And that's what I think, because usually there are no FBI-warnings on european discs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Gary16 said:
Is it possible that the UK and US blurays of Rebel use different masters? I bought the UK set and find the Rebel transfer disappointing. Color is good but the picture just has a soft look to it on my big projection screen. On the other hand I'm now screening Jumbo which looks beautiful. Since you gave them both a 5 for video I'm puzzled. Anyone else looked at the UK Rebel?
I've watched the UK disc and find it quite good. It looks pretty much like the prints I saw all those years ago. I understand when you say it looks a bit soft but that's how I recall it looking on 35mm prints. I certainly don't recall it looking hard and sharp.

I thought the sound was good. Leonard Rosenman's excellent score was well-served. I was amused to notice that one melodic theme in the score - there are many - was remarkably similar to the main theme used by Bernard Herrmann ten years later in Marnie.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I just watched REBEL (right after EDEN) and don't find it too soft.
Remember what RAH said, "the early CinemaScope anomalies are in place" (whatever that means), probably part of your problem with the "softness".
Gary16 said:
What Jumbo, the Disney Jumbo?
I would presume, here ist 5 not equal 5. If you know what I mean? ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Disney didn't do a Jumbo; it did a Dumbo. I'm sure he's talking about the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Billy Rose's Jumbo which was recently released.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Matt Hough said:
Disney didn't do a Jumbo; it did a Dumbo. I'm sure he's talking about the Warner Archive Blu-ray of Billy Rose's Jumbo which was recently released.
Precisely. Jumbo. Doris Day, P.T. Barnum, and the huge-eared flying elephant. Always a tear-jerker.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
schan1269 said:
I love hypocrisy...

We bemoan how screwed we get on releases...but glady mention how to circumvent the US marketplace...which results in fewer/more expensive choices for us to bemoan and circumvent...
I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

It's a WARNER BROS. product. They are getting their "cut" from sales regardless of where it is sold. If they set their list price lower in some places, then that is on them -- not on those of us who choose to buy from said locations. But nice of you to label us "hypocrites"....

Davinchi

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thanks Mr. Harris for the review.

A question please, why do the blu ray has crop in lateral, respect to the Dvd?

PD: Please excuse my limited English

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Kenneth_C said:
I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

It's a WARNER BROS. product. They are getting their "cut" from sales regardless of where it is sold. If they set their list price lower in some places, then that is on them -- not on those of us who choose to buy from said locations. But nice of you to label us "hypocrites"....
And if you bothered to read below where this was posted...

I said...

"Pot calling the Kettle..."

Which, since you obviously didn't find that post. I was including myself. And I am the one that started the "Little Known Region B BD" thread...

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
schan1269 said:
And if you bothered to read below where this was posted...

I said...

"Pot calling the Kettle..."

Which, since you obviously didn't find that post. I was including myself. And I am the one that started the "Little Known Region B BD" thread...
Which you only posted after someone else remarked on your original post.

Even if you want to include yourself, I still don't see any "hypocrisy". Warners set a list price in the U.K. of 35 GBP (roughly $56) versus a list price of $100 in the U.S. So a better question might be: Why the huge discrepancy?

(And Warners isn't the only one to do this, just the one that is germane to this thread.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My intent was sarcasm. Apparently that gets lost in written form.The US market gets screwed all the time. You'd think the largest BD market wouldn't get as screwed as we do. I even joked about European diet. paying off US distribution to not release...

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Russell G said:
Are the DVDs region free as well? I'm currently waiting for a gold box style deal on the US set. I don't care about the big box, I just want all the video content.
To answer your question, no, the DVDs are not region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks