What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Horse Soldiers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a 1959 production, John Ford's The Horse Soldiers, has everything technical on the visual side against it, and it shows.

Unfortunately, dupey looking from frame one, the film is decidedly acceptable on Blu-ray.

The one positive note, is that it follows a troop of Union soldiers during the Civil War, and their blue uniforms come nicely to the fore. Dupes are unfortunate, but look like dupes of the era that have seen better days. Grain is well... there.

The right side of the frame has an occasional unfortunate shift toward yellow, and skies also have an occasional yellow tone.

As no one is about to spend more on a half century old film by a long dead filmmaker, The Horse Soldiers is what it is, and doubtless will not be revisited for an upgrade.

The film still holds up, with Mr. Wayne at the center of the action, along with William Holden, surrounded by the Ford company of players.

Mr. Ford still had some terrific productions ahead of him, but The Horse Soldiers, followed by Sergeant Rutledge will be the most problematic of the bunch.

A very good, classic film from a great filmmaker.

Acceptable.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

Do you think this is an older transfer as I think so? I agree with you on the acceptable grade especially since we never got a Region 1 DVD release with the OAR.

This title has been a favorite of mine since childhood. I was too young to see it in the movie theater back in 1959, but my first recollection of seeing it for the first time in color was on my family's first color television circa 1964.

Crawdaddy

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The region 1 DVD was OAR (1.66:1), just not 16X9 enhanced.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

...since we never got a Region 1 DVD release with the OAR...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

RAH,

Do you think this is an older transfer as I think so? I agree with you on the acceptable grade especially since we never got a Region 1 DVD release with the OAR.

This title has been a favorite of mine since childhood. I was too young to see it in the movie theater back in 1959, but my first recollection of seeing it for the first time in color was on my family's first color television circa 1964.

Crawdaddy

Same here, one of the first films I saw on the color set when we got it. That is why this has a nostolgic feeling. Goes right along with the first color viewing of THE WIZARD OF OZ. Gosh I'm old.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

RAH,

Crawdaddy

I'd be interested to hear Robert's opinion on this as well. Also, it depends on your definition of old. For me an old transfer is one minted in the first half of the '00's. Film scanning has come a long way since then. I am almost certain this transfer was done within the last 2 years. It looks absolutely transparent to the source. Get up really close to the screen, there are no video artifacts whatsoever.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

I'd be interested to hear Robert's opinion on this as well. Also, it depends on your definition of old. For me an old transfer is one minted in the first half of the '00's. Film scanning has come a long way since then. I am almost certain this transfer was done within the last 2 years. It looks absolutely transparent to the source. Get up really close to the screen, there are no video artifacts whatsoever.

If not new, it does look reasonably recent. The problems are not with the image harvest, but rather with the source elements.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Quote:

If not new, it does look reasonably recent. The problems are not with the image harvest, but rather with the source elements.

RAH

RAH,

Am I remembering correctly that De Luxe has been problematic beforehand with other titles and their source elements?

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

RAH,

Am I remembering correctly that De Luxe has been problematic beforehand with other titles and their source elements?

Crawdaddy

deluxe is an innocent party. The problem is Kodak 5248.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Quote:

deluxe is an innocent party. The problem is Kodak 5248.

RAH

So the quality of the film used. Any other well known films from that era use that Kodak 5248?

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

So the quality of the film used. Any other well known films from that era use that Kodak 5248?

Crawdaddy

Virtually everything shot between 1954 and late 1960 on Kodak color negative stock. Keep in mind that films were also shot on Ansco and other stocks, but the problem is inclusive of virtually every U.S. production, the most problematic being post-1955.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
IMDB says the UK version runs 119 minutes while the USA edition runs 115 minutes, i don't see any info on alternate versions listed on their site though, does anyone know what the extra 4 minutes consists of and what version is this blu ray. ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

IMDB says the UK version runs 119 minutes while the USA edition runs 115 minutes, i don't see any info on alternate versions listed on their site though, does anyone know what the extra 4 minutes consists of and what version is this blu ray. ?

The BRD runs about 120 minutes including seeing the old UA logo and the MGM lion roar at the end.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks