A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -- in Blu-ray & 3D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    XenForo Template

Shot as data on a Red Epic, and taken through DI at 2k in many flavors -- 2D, 3D, 24fps, 48fps, 35mm anamorphic, a blow-up to 70mm IMAX dual-strip 3D…

Am I missing anything?

While I didn’t find The Hobbit film to be quite as enthralling as the Rings films, it’s a high quality entertainment, and down-rezzed to Blu-ray in 3D, works beautifully.

As I mentioned in my Zero Dark Thirty piece, and will again for Lincoln, we’re very fortunate to be at a technological point where home video can beautifully replicate the full theatrical experience, and sometimes better it.

The Hobbit is one of the those perfect discs, that makes that reminds us just how lucky we are.

As a 3D experience, The Hobbit also shines, as I'm seeing no problems, and the technology just works as it should.

Wonder if there's any way to project this via Blu-ray at 48 fps?

Another reference quality disc, and at under $28 street, a steal.

Image - 5

Audio (7.1) - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

2. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    Good afternoon (UK time).

On the 3-D/2-D issue. If you watch it in 3-D then 2-D do you find anything missing from the 2-D version, or just different.

Steve W

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oh wow that would be very cool, but somehow I doubt we'll get true 48fps due to the data not being there. However for those with 120hz or 240hz TVs they can just turn on their "motion enhancers" (or whatever their specific manufacturer calls it) and get a similar effect, though it won't be as silky smooth as if we had the true 48 individual frames per second data on the disc. Their TVs will "up-frame" it to the best of their abilities and give it that smoother-than-life look, but some TVs will do a better job than others...

4. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    Where does the 3D version split the film from disc one to disc two? I'm planning on doing a LORD OF THE RINGS EE rewatch in the next few days for about a week where I watch one disc a night due to... well, not having the time to do any more than that. I'll probably have to split up THE HOBBIT, too, and if the disc split for the 3D version is at some very natural point that makes a lot of sense I'll just ape that for my own purposes.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I'm adding this one to my...

"Search for those who have removed the 3D/redeemed the UV and selling the rest" on Ebay.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If you saw it theatrically, what was your opinion on 48fps?

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'd love to hear Mr. Harris's take on this, as well.

The video was hyper-realistic, and the fast motion scenes did not suffer from blurring as they often do at 24fps. I can't wait to see what other movies go for the High Frame Rate system.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I've said it many times in other threads but I hated it. Most CG shots looked like a video game and most onscreen movement seemed to move at too fast of a frame rate (like a silent movie being run just slightly too fast). It was just awful looking and based on the presentation I saw, I don't understand how anyone liked it. That being said, reading positive comments on it has made me seriously consider the possibility that the theater I saw it in messed up the presentation somehow or that my brain or eyes can't process the HFR correctly because I can't believe anyone enjoyed what I saw.

9. Carlo Medina

I'm used to higher frame rates, being a former PC builder/FPS gamer who used to buy expensive graphics cards to get over 100FPS at high quality (hey when you're playing competitively every frame counts). So 48fps wasn't extremely jarring but it was noticeable because your brain, when you watch a movie, basically sets itself for what it's always known: 24fps.

I wasn't as bothered as Travis, probably based on my videogame experience. I did "notice" it for about the first 10-15 minutes, and then my brain sort of adjusted (or stopped caring) and for the rest of the movie I was fine.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had heard that people adjusted after that amount of time too but it never happened for me. My whining about HFR aside, I was surprised by the semi-negative comments surrounding the movie because I thought it was alot of fun and I look forward to the other movies.

11. Carlo Medina

My opinion on the movie:

[*]As an adaptation of The Hobbit - not very good in terms of being faithful. And overly long. 3 movies for a book that's 1/6 the length of LoTR (which also took 3 movies)?
    [*]As a movie that contains the story of The Hobbit, plus other ancillary Tolkien materials, plus stuff PJ&Co just straight made up, and viewed as a "Prequel to the Lord of the Rings movies" and not as a true adaptation of the novel - it was fun and I too had a blast.
    [/list]

12. revgen

revgen Supporting Actor

Dan
    I've never understood the negative reviews about this film. I enjoyed it.

Stephen Brooks likes this.
  13. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    Are we positive about a 2K DI on this movie? I remember reading it was finished at full 5K.

14. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    The Hobbit, a great book, a favourite book, a short book! This may read as heresy but I have always been disappointed that the material would be spread out to some nine hours. After the three films have finished their theatrical runs and Blu-rays distributed, do you think a single three hour edit will be produced for me containing the actual story?

lark144 likes this.
  15. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    I'd be shocked if a "Just the Story" literal fan cut adapation didn't show up at some point after all three are out.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  16. MartEvans

MartEvans Stunt Coordinator

I'd be all over that. In terms of length I always thought of The Hobbit as LOTR "Lite" and I would have loved to have seen the movie go that way. I understand it's about creating a cash cow and getting the most revenue out of something but I would have loved to have seen it as one single movie without any fluff.

17. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    A three hour Hobbit would do well theatrically, but of course it couldn't be announced until after the second and third instalments had been released.

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Interesting to see the differing opinions. The real question is, did the 48 fps aspect prove to be sufficiently popular to encourage its further use? The impression I get is that the moviegoing public as a whole was underwhelmed. That implies the answer is "no".

19. Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore Supporting Actor

Todd Moore
    The film splits at the end of the scene where the two Orcs report losing the dwarves and the Defiler throws one of them to the Wargs then sends his minions out after the dwarves.

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

i would love to see something like this. I thought the first film was way too long and drawn out -- and I am a big fan of the LOTR films. I cannot image the movie getting an extended version.. that would be torture. :wacko: