A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ghost Writer -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    While I'll not get into the politics of it, two things kept going through my mind as I viewed Roman Polanski's political thriller, The Ghost Writer (Summitt).

The first was how and where sequences were shot.

With Mr. Polanski unable to travel to the U.S., I was continually attempting to figure out what was green screen, second unit, etc.

The other, (I'm currently reading Tony Blair's memoir, A Journey) are the political similarities, at least on a basic level, this seems to be with his personal history.

That aside, The Ghost Writer is a deft thriller, based upon the novel by Robert Harris (no relation) that makes good use of its cast. Interestingly, while Tom Wilkinson is shorn of this accent, taking on a New England-ish tone ("What are you, from Harvard or something?"), Kim Cattrall returns to hers.

A reasonably insular film, based upon its reported 35 million dollar cost, it works on all levels, as the game of cat and cat and mouse is in progress.

A very nice looking Blu-ray from Summitt -- it should be as the film is a DI -- and an entertaining film.

It's nice to have Mr. Polanski behind the camera again.

Recommended.

RAH