What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The French Connection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
cafink said:
Go to the customer service desk, explain that the disc doesn't play in your Blu-ray player, and they'll give you another copy. What's the problem? I've returned movies to Best Buy tons of times for various reasons, and there's never been anything unpleasant to "deal with."
I've heard more than a few stories about BB clerks who act like the customer is trying to get away with something and just generally give people a hard time. I may luck out and get a clerk who's in a good mood and they'll hand me another copy no questions asked but I don't know if it's just my player or a firmware issue -getting another copy might be a waste of time. Nobody else has reported a problem with their discs so far so in all likelihood it's got something to do with my machine.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I used to work at Best Buy (three, actually), so if I might, I'd like to offer some insight: The reason that people in "Media" (that is, movies, music and video games) appear stupid is because they probably are. That's the hardest part of the store to screw up and it basically operates itself, so anyone who is kind of dumb gets sent there. Now, for the record - I'm not saying that everyone that works in "Media" is dumb. I'm just saying that, if a store made the mistake of hiring someone who does, in fact, happen to be dumb, they got sent to "Media." Or the warehouse to unload trucks, but that's another story. So your chances of running into someone like that is higher than normal. You shouldn't let your experiences in that section affect your perception of the rest of the store, because "Media" is kind of like the Island of Misfit Toys in most locations. Also: if you ever run into someone on the floor who is dressed slightly differently than everyone else (probably black jeans or black khakis) and has a different kind of blue "Best Buy" shirt, they're from the warehouse. Don't bother. They know where everything in the store is because they put it there, but any questions more specific than that are wasted. They don't know, and they also already hate you even before you open your mouth because working in the warehouse sucks. Customer service is one of the most important areas of the store (those credit card applications aren't going to fill themselves out!), so the competent people get sent there. Notice I didn't say "nice" or "happy," just "competent." Nine times out of ten, they'll do whatever you want, unless you're legitimately trying to screw them. Just go in, get your copy stickered at the asset protection desk by the door, grab another copy off the shelf, and take both up to customer service. Say "This one doesn't work, I want to exchange it for this one." You don't even have to say "why" it doesn't work - in all likelihood, they both don't understand what you're talking about and don't care to begin with. "Exchange, please" is all you'll have to say, and you'll be out in a minute. I think you have to show a photo ID now, but such is life. If anyone ever gives you a hard time in a Best Buy, threaten to call corporate. 1-888-BESTBUY. Corporate bends over *backwards* for people, even if they're legitimately incorrect. So a legitimate complaint will take care of itself promptly, if in fact people are giving you crap for trying to return a defective product. In my experience, it never comes to that, but it's a nice arrow to have in your quiver regardless. It's the nuclear option :)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
No problem. In my experience, the perception seems to be "Shopping at Best Buy sucks because everyone there is stupid," which isn't *exactly* correct :) It's a mixture of a lot of different things. Some you can work around to your benefit, and some you can't (like how most stores won't price match Amazon.com because they officially don't see them as "competition").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks