A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Enforcer -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The final Blu-ray to be viewed in my latest pile of Olive fare is another wonderful film -- Bretaigne Windust's 1951 The Enforcer.

Some of you are probably mouthing the words...

"Bretaigne Windust."

While not terribly well known in the cinema, he had a very successful career on Broadway in the 1940s, and was responsible for directing State of the Union and Finian's Rainbow. He then moved to Hollywood, with a contract with WB.

The Enforcer is a gritty police procedural / thriller / noir-ish production. Mr. Bogart is superb, and the youngish pre- HUAC Zero Mostel gives a great performance.

Photographed in black & white by the great Robert Burks (think Hitchcock), I'd have once again hoped for more here. Since the original elements survive, and work was performed at UCLA, as funded by The Film Foundation, this Blu-ray should look far better than it does.

As it stands, it looks like a decent transfer taken from dupe elements.

Just more ho-hum...

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

RAH

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I thought The Enforcer looked pretty damn good on my display. Anyhow, I'll just repeat what I said in another of your threads.

I understand where you're coming from, but if it wasn't for Olive there would be several titles not only unavailable on Blu-ray, but many of them weren't even released on DVD. So yeah, their video presentations should be better and the same for their audio presentations, but I am thankful still the same that Olive is releasing titles at a rate that no other studio/company is doing right now. At the same time, I'm discovering some fine films that I've never seen before seeing them on Olive discs.

Robin9 likes this.
  3. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    This is a great film, one of my favourite Bogart films, and Ted de Corsia is typically good as well. My copy arrived this week and I am so keen to have it even though I can't play it until my region-free player arrives.

Olive are putting out so many great titles that we probably wouldn't see otherwise it's just a pity they are now region A coded.

4. RichSeeger

RichSeeger Auditioning

Richard Seeger
    Am I in the wrong to think that Olive should, perhaps, slow their output and do a little more work in the digital realm in terms of clean-up? Why will they not go there? Surely we desire something more than standard fare for our nice hobby.

willyTass likes this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    You can ask any question as I can't answer for them. As to why they might go there, don't know, maybe they have release period with Paramount. As to your last point, I desire a lot, but father time isn't on my side to wait forever.

6. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    The Film Foundation logo can be found on the back of the case. What, if anything, does that indicate?

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    It indicates that the organization, as part of their edict to protect and preserve the cinema, has placed funds toward saving the film.

RAH

8. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Cagney, Bogart and Robinson have been my three favorite actors since I was 13, so I will buy any of their films on Blu and while I might agree with RAH in principle and hope for the best transfers possible, I have to acknowledge the rarity and limited commercial appeal of some of these titles. With that qualification, my expectations are considerably lowered, mostly to the point where I'll be happy if it surpasses the previous DVD release, if any. For those who want to avoid any releases that are less than perfect, even if by a small margin, I support your cause and endorse it, but I just don't see the day coming when these films will merit the comprehensive attention and affection they deserve. It doesn't mean we should stop fighting, but for me I have to consider the battle and the arena.

9. Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor Stunt Coordinator

Jim Harwood
    Gee, I thought this was one of Olive's best discs.

10. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    I thought it was good too. Hell, I still think it's pretty good.

I think we all know by now that Olive do not improve what they are given. They either accept or reject the masters supplied. I'm surprised that so many people still have not grasped that any complaints should be directed at the supplier - most frequently Paramount - and not Olive.

11. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    In defense of Olive, you really can't expect them to foot the bill for a complete restoration for something they are merely licensing for a limited amount of time. Only the copyright holder (Paramount) should invest in that kind of restoration. Why would any licensee pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a complete restoration only to have someone else benefit from their investment once the license expires?

Keith Cobby likes this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't want to speak for RAH, but I think what bothers him the most about Olive is that Olive can do a little cleanup work on these releases which wouldn't be very expensive. He mentions the lack of such work in just about every one of his Olive threads.

Usually, the following comment or something similar would be present in most of his review comments about Olive titles.

13. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Olive are running a business, we don't know how many titles they are selling, or pricing. Perhaps if they knew in advance they would be able to spend more money. Perhaps they will in future if sales prove worthwhile. In the meantime I echo what others are saying about having titles we might not have otherwise, or at least in my lifetime!

14. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    I've certainly had my share of reservations about the picture quality of recent Olive titles, but this wasn't one of them. I thought The Enforcer looked just dandy overall...any issues with its source elements relatively minor, and easily ignored. A very good previously-unseen movie too...had a blast with it!

Sidebar: For awhile I was nagged by the can't-quite-place-it face of Lawrence Tolan. Then it clicked...he's the guy who played Grave in the classic Outer Limits episode "The Zanti Misfits" (under the name Michael Tolan). According to the IMDb, Tolan did a lot of 60s and 70s TV...I guess I just never noticed him in anything else.

15. kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle Stunt Coordinator

I think it's worth noting here that despite carrying Bretaigne Windust's signature, all but a couple of scenes of this film were actually directed by Raoul Walsh, who took over early in the shoot when Windust fell ill. If you're familiar enough with Walsh's style, it's easy to spot the remaining Windust scenes. Despite refusing credit on the film, when the film was re-released in France in the 60's, the advertising was changed to 'directed by Raoul Walsh' - it seems the flowering of auteurism made Walsh a more marketable commodity than he'd originally been.

16. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Well, that explains a lot. I was particularly impressed by the direction of this picture, and wondered why I'd never seen more from Bretaigne Windust...other than some 50s/60s TV-fare.

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I just got and watched this last night - picture quality was about what I expected, and I was satisfied. The movie itself I had never seen before, and I ended up enjoying it. I really liked the stuff at the precinct at the beginning of the movie, and then at the end as they were seeking out the female witness.

Glad to own this, and will revisit it next time I end up on a Bogart binge.