A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Egyptian -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I need to catch up with The Robe. Never seen it.

2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Yep, same here. I bought Blu-ray to see the smilebox version of How The West Was Won, & looking forward to, Ben Hur, Mutiny On The Bounty & The Guns Of Naverone to go with The Egyptian, & hoping that it won't be too long before Cleopatra is released. As for most of todays films, I'm happy with DVD.

3. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    Off topic but a heads up on Cameraman: The LIfe and Work of Jack Cardiff. I just posted over at Mike Frezon's Weekly Roundup thread that Deep Discount has the Blu at a whopping lowest price of $19.45 - DVD is $14.08 (no shipping over $15 but there may be taxes). I know at least one person on here who'll be interested in this.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    It's a beautiful documentary in any definition; in HD it's genuine eye-candy.

5. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    Topical tidbit here: A mini-bio of Mr. Cardiff on IMDB says that the aborted Flynn produced, Cardiff directed The Story of William Tell would have been the second Cinemascope film...(?). Hope there's something about this in the documentary.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The only caveat is that I'm basing my comment on a viewing of a HD broadcast around Christmas time; the joy was not only seeing clips in HD from Cardiff's work which exists on BD - such as the breathtaking Black Narcissus - but also stuff which isn't, like The Small Back Room and (IIRC) A Matter of Life and Death. There are some upscales included, and sadly The Vikings was amongst them, but it doesn't detract from the quality of the documentary as a superb piece of work. I still kick myself that a few years ago, I was but a few feet away from Jack Cardiff - he was having a cuppa at the Bradford Film & TV Museum - and though I was desperate to shake his hand and tell him how much pleasure his work had given me down the years, he was in conversation and I thought I'd let him enjoy his tea in peace.

8. jaaguir

jaaguir Stunt Coordinator

The standard version of "The robe" is included in the already released blu-ray as a PictureInPicture track (a smallish video window that appears pasted over the regular image of the movie). It's practically all of it there, although it's true it's not present 100% of the time. But more than enough to check out any differences you'd wish to see. A pretty dum move, in my opinion. It just should have been included as a second feature in high-def, maybe in a second disc.

9. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    Thanks for all your work on the Roundup thread, Mike. Not only did I notice the Cardiff images, I saved the box cover (a nice big file for enlarging) for that Cardiff photograph of the surreally beautiful Audrey. IMDB has a picture of JC holding an enlargement, but the stunning, suitably cropped stand-alone is also reproduced there. The mini-bio on IMDB doesn't mention the studio by name, but apparently JC and Ted Moore were assistants in the camera department run by one Freddie Young! That little group would later photograph three of my obsessions, Lawrence, African Queen and, though the masterful Man for all Seasons should be the obvious fit for this group, Moore's Dr. No is my favorite film, for one reason or another.

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    When you've seen a terrific print of Treasure Island (Disney), you'll know you've reached nirvana.

And You Only Live Twice isn't too shabby either.

There is a certain "divinity" reached by that small group of UK lighting cameramen and operators that sets their work apart, and more than places than toe-to-toe with the best that the Colonies have had to offer, which has been extraordinary.

In my humble opinion, DPs, wherever they might be, are better than anybody. For more than a century, they have taken the ideas and dreams of directors...

and put them on film.

Without them, we ain't got nothin'.

RAH

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    You cost me so much money because you're such a great salesman. :-p Shawn Belston gave a lovely introduction to Ford's movietone film The Four Sons last night, I'm so glad that someone of his caliber and passion for film has the position he has with Fox. What would be your top choices for Twilight Time blurays?

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

Difficult question, that would take some thinking.

I believe I'd begin with The Black Swan with proper color and densities on Blu-ray.

There are so many quality Fox titles in the 'scope era.

RAH

13. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    It's a pity you didn't get the opportunity to show your gratitude, John. These great artist-technicians are far too much in the shadow and love to be appreciated. Hope you're all safe over there.
    Amen. Wherever they might be is right. No one country has a lock on the profession, look at the Hungarians! The two that I've had the honor to meet were the Italian Storaro and the American Koenekamp. Storaro has had more than his share of goodies, but I was the more excited at meeting Koenekamp for the gorgeous Papillon. Some movies afford more opportunities than others, and Koenekamp grabbed that gem and ran with it. (A friend and I often discuss that most elusive of qualities in a movie, atmosphere - something Papillon is drenched in. I've always given credit solely to the director, but it just occurred to me that lighting probably plays the biggest role in achieving that, with major contributions from set designers and composers).

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Yep; as I said *huge* regret. I can't quite cope with meeting my heroes; inwardly I gush, outwardly I maintain a stoic resistance to gushing and hence do nothing.
    Thanks; me and mine are quite safe, my country's looking a little worse for wear though. Strange days...