What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Descendents -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There were just a handful of films that I really liked in 2011.

Alexander Payne's The Descendants ended up at the top of my list, right alongside that wonderful film about Melies and the silent cinema.

ir

There are so many levels of potential appreciation here, It begins with the screenplay by Mr. Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, and then hits every other area of filmmaking to perfection. Cinematography, production design, editing, sound... and then there are the actors.

As is the norm, my feeling is that the less one knows about the a film going in, the better.

Suffice to say that I believe this is one of those films that will stand the test of time.

Shot on film S35/3, which seems to have become the norm for film shoots, and taken through a 2k DI, one would presume that a resultant Blu-ray disc would mimic the film to perfection.

And one would be correct.

A couple of notes on the actors. Nick Clooney's son is in this, and does a terrific job. But a new name to follow here is young Shailene Woodley -- acting since she was six or thereabout, and appearing mostly on television product, she's superb. As are

Robert Forster and Judy Greer, in a small, but memorable role.

I love The Descendants, which will shortly arrive on Blu-ray from Fox.

A perfect film and a perfect Blu-ray.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I completely agree that "The Descendants" is one of those films that will stand the test of time. George Clooney deserved a best actor Oscar for this and if nothing else, it demonstrates what a wide range he has as an actor.

The writing is superb and the characters feel real. Like "Sideways" and its wine vineyards, Hawaii plays its own character here and it's gorgeously shot. There aren't many films that portray Hawaii as a real place with real people and problems, but now we have a good one.

Having been to Hawaii and Kauai, the portrayal of this great state is perfectly accurate. I like the changing light in the cinematography; I like that it's not always sunny there as is so many other movies. To me, it just makes it all the more beautiful and an appropriate metaphor that nowhere and no one is perfect.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I notice that Fuji film was used for principal photography. This makes a lot of sense. Fuji is excellent for greens (and purples). Kauai is a lush and green paradise. I also appreciated the use of clouds, light and shadows, and rain. Kauai (near the Napoli) gets the most rain of anyplace on the planet. Helps the greens of course.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by jauritt

And MUCH more deserving of the Best Picture Oscar than the over-hyped, over-praised "The Artist"

Agree. "Artist" was an entertaining movie that got attention due to a gimmick, while "Descendants" offered a mature film that earned its praise due to quality, not because it had some quirk...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by rsmithjr

I notice that Fuji film was used for principal photography.
This makes a lot of sense. Fuji is excellent for greens (and purples). Kauai is a lush and green paradise.
I also appreciated the use of clouds, light and shadows, and rain. Kauai (near the Napoli) gets the most rain of anyplace on the planet. Helps the greens of course.

I believe it was shot on Kodak 5213 and and 19, and printed via DI on Fuji, which does have very interesting, and different attributes.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks