What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Comancheros -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Crawford said:
The Duke has always been my favorite actor.  He was always underrated as an actor, how he was never nominated for The Searchers is beyond me.  His performance in that film is one of the true iconic ones and is similar to Robert Mitchum getting passed up for The Night of the Hunter.  Anyhow, I agree with you about Wayne being a very good comedic actor.  One of my favorite comedies of all-time is Dononvan's Reef with him and Lee Marvin having a grand time on an island of paradise.
Donovan's Reef . . . A wonderful film from start to finish. It really doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nor does Hatari get the credit it deserves. Try watching one after the other. They are like bookends.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
The location photography in Hatari! and Donovan's Reef would be particularly spectacular on blu-ray. Doug

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Two John Wayne films I always watch at this time of the year are Donovan's Reef and Three Godfathers...probably make some time for them this weekend.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think Paramount is getting the message; a lot more Duke on Blu-ray please. And with Warner releasing Fort Apache, that augurs well for, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon in 2012.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by jim_falconer

Two John Wayne films I always watch at this time of the year are Donovan's Reef and Three Godfathers...probably make some time for them this weekend.

For the last 40 years, I always try to catch 3 Godfathers during these holidays either on television or now watch the DVD that I have of it. You're right, Donovan's Reef is also a good Holiday film with it's setting around Christmas.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

I think Paramount is getting the message; a lot more Duke on Blu-ray please. And with Warner releasing Fort Apache, that augurs well for, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon in 2012.

Wayne has always sold well on video and probably moreso than most classic film stars.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Billy Batson said:
I love this movie, I find it so enjoyable, not an "important" western, but so much fun, & that Elmer Bernstein music score! I'll wait a bit for the Amazon price to nudge down & then import it to the UK.
Now $11.99 for the digibook, now ordered!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon is now listing The Comancheros Blu-ray disc @ $4.99!

If you haven't already bought the disc, buy it now!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
What a fun movie. John Wayne and Lee Marvin plus others are all in top form. The Elmer Bernstein score has sometimes been called the Magnificent Eight. It's also a lot of fun bouncing along. For $4.99 it's a steal.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
There's a great Fox 3-pack Blu-Ray set with "The Undefeated", the Tyrone Power "Jesse James", and "The Comancheros" that I bought at Best Buy as part of a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal with two other 3-packs. So each 3-pack of Blu-Rays was only $10. It was a sweet deal.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I believe Amazon price-matched Best Buy on this one. Amazing price for anyone who's looking to pick this up. I've also recently seen Hondo for $6.88, and Rio Bravo, The Train Robbers, and Cahill U.S. Marshall for $7.88 at Wal-Mart. I think the approach of Father's Day has seen a lot of Duke films hit the bargain shelves.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
But keep in mind they included this on the John Wayne Film Collection blu-ray, with a total of 7 films. Currently 25.88.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks