What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Caine Mutiny -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/314747/a-few-words-about-the-caine-mutiny-in-blu-ray#post_3852993
I can confirm that Nat Holt and Paramount began shooting FLIGHT TO TANGIER with the Technicolor 3-D camera rig on May 19, 1953 and were composing for 1.66. That massive camera rig utilized 6 rolls of 35mm film: yellow, cyan, magenta Left and YCM Right.
Now that would be something to see. Is there a pic on the web somewhere?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here's a shot of the blimped Technicolor 3-D rig on the set of MONEY FROM HOME.
9177f87e_MoneyfromHome.jpeg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I need to get this one!
Interesting that this particular thread has gotten bumped up with the discussion of widescreen and 3-strip.
Jack Theakston and I were just at the George Eastman House photography museum in Rochester, NY. VERY highly recommended.
They have a 3-strip camera on display and the view-finder had been modified for widescreen.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(Just for the record.)

Mike took this up with the software guys and they fixed the error.
We can see page 2 again!

Cees

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm arriving very, very late to the party on this one. But a fine transfer of a remarkable film. 1954 was a good year. Not sure where I'd rank this one, but probably in my top ten. Let's see....

1. Rear Window

2. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

3. White Christmas

4. Dial M for Murder

5. The Egyptian

6. A Star is Born

7. The Barefoot Contessa

8. The Caine Mutiny

9. Broken Lance

10. Knock on Wood

Reactions: PMF

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I can't read the last page of this thread because something somebody posted there isn't being handled by either Firefox or something forum-related. [Thus I can't read this post!] I could read the thread some time ago, because I read it before I got the BD, which was only this year, so it's not something in the thread from long ago. If a mod etc. can do something...then delete this. Thanks.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ D'oh!! If it's not just a prob at my end, nobody will be able to read that/this either. Hmmm...and delete this too if/when fixed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
For anyone who missed The Caine Mutiny, it's now just $7 at amazon. Good pq on this late Bogart classic. He was brave to play against his typical hero type in this complex and nuanced World War II flick. What a cast! And everyone is used well. I also thought the miniature work was quite good for the era. Anyone willing to say how Caine ranks for them among Bogart's films?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
JoelA said:
Purchased. $6.99 for this classic in blu-ray is a no-brainer. Thanks for the heads up. Only 13 remaining at Amazon as of right now.

I just grabbed one of those 13.

An interesting companion piece is Robert Altman's The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, a 1988 TV movie with Brad Davis as Queeg. It's available on a Sony MOD DVD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Anyone willing to say how Caine ranks for them among Bogart's films?
I’m ranking this Bogart performance at Number #2.

Number #1 spot shall remain open until I finally catch up to Criterion’s “In a Lonely Place”.

BD WISH-LIST: More titles by director Edward Dmytryk, including “Crossfire”. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks