A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Borgias -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I find it interesting that Showtime via Take 5 Productions would produce two series, The Tudors (2007-10), followed by The Borgias (2011) that work within the same basic time period, beginning in the 1490s. One of their other series, Camelot goes back another few years in time.

They have a great deal in common.

While The Tudors was shot in HD (1080p/24) and remained in that format, The Borgia, shot with Arri Alexa and Sony F35, took the HD data and moved it through to a DI.

Both make superb use of digital imagery to a point where the viewer might never to quite certain whether what they are seeing is real or not. The important point, however, is that they do it well.

Both are filled with court intrigue, and while the former is shot in Ireland, and posted in Canada, the latter set in Rome, shot in Prague and Hungary. But what I find most amazing in both are the visual effects.

Take a look at this short product reel from Spin VFX for The Borgias, and you'll get an idea why these series hold such a place of honor as TV product for me.

http://www.spinpro.com/pr_news/Borgias/EPK/borgias_EPK_V015.html

A visit to their site is a pleasant time.

Billed as "The original crime family," The Borgias has a superb cast, led by Jeremy Irons. For many, it won't take more than that to get them to view the series. Add that the series was created by Neil Jordan (The Crying Game, Interview with a Vampire), and another layer of potential viewers comes to the fore.

If one is into intrigue of the era, or history in general, The Borgias should strike a pleasant note.

A beautifully produced series, that once again via Showtime, makes a gorgeous Blu-ray.

Want to know what your in for. Showtime's tag line says it all.

"Sex. Power. Murder. Amen."

Recommended.

RAH