What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Big Country -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
For what it's worth, I called the 888 number on the back of the case to inform them (Fox) of the issue. I hope to get some screen caps soon. Stay tuned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by nealg
For what it's worth, I called the 888 number on the back of the case to inform them (Fox) of the issue. I hope to get some screen caps soon. Stay tuned.
Okay, let me get this straight. Most people are happy with this blu-ray disc, but you have a problem with some distortion? How much distortion are you talking about and is it prevalent throughout the entire film or it just happens with a few scenes?

Crawdaddy

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Okay, let me get this straight. Most people are happy with this blu-ray disc, but you have a problem with some distortion? How much distortion are you talking about and is it prevalent throughout the entire film or it just happens with a few scenes?

Crawdaddy
Thats what i want to know too, is it just a few scenes or the whole film.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
nealg

If you are having this much of a problem with the distortsion, you can always adjust your screen to squeeze the image in from the sides (it shouldn't have to be by much)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyMulder
Thats what i want to know too, is it just a few scenes or the whole film.
If the problem is real, and not in camera distortion, which it should not be, the entire film may be affected, but with only close-ups and big two shots being obvious. I've done some experiments using the images posted in the BD.com review, squeezing the image by 5%, and things look better. Trying to find out what might have occurred in the HD master production from the 8 perf element. What was needed was a 50% expansion. It's possible that someone performed the fix by eye, but doubtful.

Don't yet have an answer.

RAH

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Phoebus said:
Not sure whether Walmart exports to Europe, nor whether the blu is region free..

Thankfully the movie has also turned up on bluray in Germany - Amazon.de - "Weites Land".
That's great.
Is it also available in the UK ?

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
Robert Crawford said:
Okay, let me get this straight.  Most people are happy with this blu-ray disc, but you have a problem with some distortion?  How much distortion are you talking about and is it prevalent throughout the entire film or it just happens with a few scenes?       Crawdaddy
Hi,I don't mean to be disrespectful, but haven't you read the thread? He explains in detail what the problem is in his previous posts (including the answer to your question). And it's not just him, I noticed the problem seeing the screencaps at blu-ray.com and then posted here asking about it to the experts, and Mr. Harris seems to be considering the issue seriously (judging by his last post). I'm certainly eager to see what comes of his inquiries (I'm also curious to see nealg's comparison screenshots, just to confirm my initial impressions). Although I doubt we'll ever see a corrected version, that's why I still plan on buying this.Greetings,

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Like many others, Osc, sadly no...
Is this the John H who posts at The Digital Fix. ? ( I'm Dark_Fox there but don't post much )

I did a search and you can import this from Amazon and a site called bluraysforeveryone so not such an exclusive as we are led to believe.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by jaaguir
Hi,
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but haven't you read the thread? He explains in detail what the problem is in his previous posts (including the answer to your question). And it's not just him, I noticed the problem seeing the screencaps at blu-ray.com and then posted here asking about it to the experts, and Mr. Harris seems to be considering the issue seriously (judging by his last post). I'm certainly eager to see what comes of his inquiries (I'm also curious to see nealg's comparison screenshots, just to confirm my initial impressions). Although I doubt we'll ever see a corrected version, that's why I still plan on buying this.
Greetings,
No disrespect, but I asked for clarification because I didn't see any distortion during my viewing. By the way, welcome to HTF.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Problem is real. Image has been unsqueezed to much horizontally. A compression of about .91 gets it back to a proper image. I'm having some tech problems, and am unable to get Photoshop to save a pixel compresses image. Possibly someone has a hint.
Neil G has kindly taken some images and will be posting.
RAH

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's disappointing to say the least, but it's not unprecedented for a Blu-ray to have incorrect geometry. I believe the Blu-ray release of The Truman Show was another example of a slightly stretched image. I wish things like this didn't happen, but it's probably not going to be something that MGM/Fox will feel warrants a recall.
Edit: I just looked at your initial post which you have updated to say you presume that the disc is likely to get corrected. Great! I haven't found time to watch my copy yet, but now I will hold off in hopes of getting a replacement.
Robert Harris said:
Problem is real. Image has been unsqueezed to much horizontally. A compression of about .91 gets it back to a proper image. I'm having some tech problems, and am unable to get Photoshop to save a pixel compresses image. Possibly someone has a hint.
Neil G has kindly taken some images and will be posting.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm beginning to wonder if the geometry problem may not stem from an attempt to hit what was assumed to be a correct aspect ratio, which is listed as 2.35.

As speculation, a problem may have been encountered when the proper uncompressed image arrived at a whopping 2.25. How might one get it to spec?

RAH

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
The question is, did the "uncompressed" image that arrived at Fox Home Video (or MGM) have the information at the sides that is visible in the TCM transfer? Both versions derive from the same AMPAS restoration, so we know that information is on the IP. It's all there on the TCM. I'll try and measure the aspect ratio of the TCM image.
I'm working on those captures. I'll have them to share in some form in the next couple days.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Robert, using the cropping tool in my Nikon editing software, a setting of 2.34:1 comes closest to properly framing the TCM image. A sliver of black falling inside one line is probably due to how close to parallel I was able to get the camera relative to the display, but it's pretty darn close. I don't know what the Technirama spec is, but it works at 2.34:1!
My capture of the blu-ray image falls between 2.33:1 and 2.34:1. I cannot set the tool to 2.335:1. The Blu-ray.com captures measure precisely 2.34:1. Interesting?

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Rick, I don't really have a before and after since I'm not able (I don't think) to compress or expand the image. I am only cropping out black bars to determine the aspect ratio of the film frame. RAH was going to attempt a compression, but he is having problems and can't get Photoshop to save the file right now.
What I am planning to do is post comparison shots of the TCM cable-cast vs. the Blu-ray.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
No disrespect, but I asked for clarification because I didn't see any distortion during my viewing.  By the way, welcome to HTF.

I only noticed the distortion when I compared the HD broadcast with the original DVD. I had not noticed any distortion while watching the HD version; but when I switched to the DVD, I did notice that the picture was "taller and thinner" compared to the HD broadcast. I just assumed that the DVD was stretched vertically and that the HD broadcast was correct. So, I assume the HD broadcast is the same master used for the Blu-ray. I no longer have the DVD (sold it) nor the HD broadcast (external Hard Drive died).FWIW, I never noticed any distortion while actually watching the film on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks