What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Apartment -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Many Blu-ray home theater fans have been patiently waiting to add more Academy Award winning Best Pictures to their libraries, and in the past months, an amazingly pleasant number have been added.

If we return to September, the Best Picture of 1959 - Ben-Hur

November - West Side Story - 1961

January - Wings - 1927

Rebecca - 1940

The Apartment - 1960

Annie Hall - 1977

The English Patient - 1996

Shakespeare in Love - 1998

February - All Quiet on the Western Front - 1930

March - Out of Africa (a replacement for the poor quality first release). In honor of their 100th Universal should actually do a swap on this title for all those who purchased it on Blu-ray presuming a quality release.

Ten Blu-ray Best Pictures in just several months is huge, especially considering that quite a few a still missing in standard definition. I'm also betting that others will only make it to Blu-ray via the auspices of Twilight Time.

But let's take a look at The Apartment, a Blu-ray that may have emerged from the shadows from specific vendors, which is a pity, as it should be easily available.

Directed by the incomparable Billy Wilder, from a screenplay by Mr. Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond.

One might look at this film as a combination of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Mad Men. While it is far darker than the former, a sweet musical comedy, as a 1960 production, it's also far tamer than the latter.

For the uninitiated, what you'll find in The Apartment, is brilliant writing, great acting, gorgeous black & white cinematography by Joseph LaShelle (Laura, Hangover Square, Irma La Douce, The Chase).

On Blu-ray the film looks very nice. It appears to have been taken from a fine grain master, and while the transfer may not be the most recent, it does a nice job of representing the film. Nice blacks, decent gray scale, normal grain. The image is generally without problems, and clean, although a bit of weave is noted. No problems.

Everything about the production is top quality, as would would presume under the Mirisch Company banner.

For those who don't know the film, it should be a blind buy. Those that do most likely already have it on order.

Recommended.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Indeed, thanks. It's always good to hear that one can purchase a promising catalog release without trepidation.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Apartment is one I've been longing for on Blu-ray. Black & White 'Scope is a format I really like, with titles such as Manhattan, The Longest Day, The Diary on Anne Frank and so on. I notice that you (probably on purpose) omitted mention of one Best Picture winner that was also released during that time period ;)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Great that many Oscar winning Best Pictures are being released on bluray -- one I dearly wish would be released -- and very soon -- would be the Oscar winner of 1955, "Marty" with a commentary track by Ernest Borgnine (please!!)

peterjanni

Grip
Real Name
Peter Janni
Brian McP said:
Great that many Oscar winning Best Pictures are being released on bluray -- one I dearly wish would be released -- and very soon -- would be the Oscar winner of 1955, "Marty" with a commentary track by Ernest Borgnine (please!!)
I wouldn't mind seeing Marty as a criterion special edition along the lines of Twelve Angry Men. The tv version with Rod Steiger would make a great supplement.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Add to that, The Deer Hunter is out on Blu March 3rd. Just happened to see the artwork posted at The Bits. Did I miss the announcement? I had no idea.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Apartment does not include the original MONO soundtrack. See DVD Savant review.

Marty would need to include the deleted scene in the DVD but was in the VHS version.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am glad to read that the transfer for this terrific film was well done. My only complaint has been the difficulty in finding a copy to purchase. I finally ended up ordering it from DVD Empire.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
In terms of famous and Oscar friendly movies arriving on Bluray - cleopatra just came out in UK and from the hexagons on the discs would seem to suggest this is a region free release. What I've seen so far looks nice.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
The test for this Blu-ray release must surely be this - how clearly do we see the nasal spray?

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

The test for this Blu-ray release must surely be this - how clearly do we see the nasal spray?

Heh - pretty clearly! It's easily visible when it spritzes out of the bottle...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

Nasal spray. Like all previous viewings, I was coughing and sneezing within half an hour of the initial elevator sequence.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Can't find a place to buy it? You can win it. We have one copy of The Apartment to give away to a lucky HTF member. To enter send an email to contest 'at' hometheaterforum.com with the code word in the subject line, and you user name, full name and address in the body of the email. The word can be found hidden in Matt's official HTF review of the Apartment on Blu-ray. Winners must have a US or Canadian shipping address, be over 18 and a member of HTF. The winner will be drawn at random from all emails received with the correct code word in the subject line. Contest runs through Sunday 2/5/12. Good luck!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
It's worth mentioning that the theme song to The Apartment was a Top Ten hit single for Ferrante & Teicher in 1960. According to Billboard, the theme song actually was written in 1949 and was released under the title "Jealous Lover." I don't know if this is mentioned in the credits as I don't have the BD yet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Heh - pretty clearly! It's easily visible when it spritzes out of the bottle...

And as explained in one of the bonus features, it's actually milk that sprays out so it would show up better. It was Lemmon's idea which Wilder greatly appreciated.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Many Blu-ray home theater fans have been patiently waiting to add more Academy Award winning Best Pictures to their libraries, and in the past months, an amazingly pleasant number have been added.

If we return to September, the Best Picture of 1959 - Ben-Hur

November - West Side Story - 1961

January - Wings - 1927

Rebecca - 1940

The Apartment - 1960

Annie Hall - 1977

The English Patient - 1996

Shakespeare in Love - 1998

February - All Quiet on the Western Front - 1930

March - Out of Africa (a replacement for the poor quality first release). In honor of their 100th Universal should actually do a swap on this title for all those who purchased it on Blu-ray presuming a quality release.

Ten Blu-ray Best Pictures in just several months is huge, especially considering that quite a few a still missing in standard definition. I'm also betting that others will only make it to Blu-ray via the auspices of Twilight Time.

But let's take a look at The Apartment, a Blu-ray that may have emerged from the shadows from specific vendors, which is a pity, as it should be easily available.

Directed by the incomparable Billy Wilder, from a screenplay by Mr. Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond.

One might look at this film as a combination of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Mad Men. While it is far darker than the former, a sweet musical comedy, as a 1960 production, it's also far tamer than the latter.

For the uninitiated, what you'll find in The Apartment, is brilliant writing, great acting, gorgeous black & white cinematography by Joseph LaShelle (Laura, Hangover Square, Irma La Douce, The Chase).

On Blu-ray the film looks very nice. It appears to have been taken from a fine grain master, and while the transfer may not be the most recent, it does a nice job of representing the film. Nice blacks, decent gray scale, normal grain. The image is generally without problems, and clean, although a bit of weave is noted. No problems.

Everything about the production is top quality, as would would presume under the Mirisch Company banner.

For those who don't know the film, it should be a blind buy. Those that do most likely already have it on order.

Recommended.

RAH

I'm guessing since the HTF members voted it the worst blu-ray release of 2011 (and worst catalog release of 2011) 1964's Best Picture winner which was released in November 2011 doesn't rate inclusion in the above list

other best pictures released in 2011: "All About Eve" (1950), "Dances With Wolves" (1990) "Rain Man" (1988) "Platoon" (1986) and "Midnight Cowboy" (1969)

(1964 being My Fair Lady)

Was very happy with Eve, Dances, and Midnight Cowboy. I don't own the others. Will pick up The Apartment eventually. Would also like to see In the Heat of the Night.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I'm guessing since the HTF members voted it the worst blu-ray release of 2011 (and worst catalog release of 2011) 1964's Best Picture winner which was released in November 2011 doesn't rate inclusion in the above list

other best pictures released in 2011: "All About Eve" (1950), "Dances With Wolves" (1990) "Rain Man" (1988) "Platoon" (1986) and "Midnight Cowboy" (1969)

(1964 being My Fair Lady)

I was referencing domestic, (the Colonies) Blu-ray releases, just in the past months. I'm unaware of a release of the 1964 Best Picture.

RAH

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Robert Harris said:
I was referencing domestic, (the Colonies) Blu-ray releases, just in the past months.  I'm unaware of a release of the 1964 Best Picture. RAH
You're one funny fellow, Mr. Harris! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks