What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Adventures of Robin Hood -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

Which means the HD-DVD is giving us about 50% of the number of (active) pixels of the 2K master. The resolution in x and y is square root 2 reduced.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Are you sure of that, Michel? I seem to recall that "2K" is a general term for a family of scans with about 2000 pixels horizontally, not 2000 lines vertically. Thus 1080×1920 is close to — what is it, 1356×2048? — the "2K" Digital Cinema resolution. Of course, you lose something on account of pixels being blanked to accomodate the aspect ratio, but nobody seems to care about that as long as the square pixel-matrix is maintained. I think I'm the only person who wants anamorphic 4:3 on High Definition media, although if it were an option I'm sure it would be abused.

cjplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

There's no flagging for anamorphic in HD DVD or BD. The authoring systems ignore any flags in the VC-1 and 264 streams, which do support flagging. You can trick the authoring system into playing anamorphic, though, at least on HD using HDi coding. Unsure about in BDMV or BD-J modes, though.

Yes, it would be abused. It's being done so on IPTV platforms. 1440x1080 flagged as 16x9 not only could happen, but is happening for HD VOD as well.

Jeff, I'd heard about Robert's post and had to thank him for it.

Cjplay.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
If they did a full 2K restoration it's 4:3 (2048*1536). If they did a 1080p restoration it's what's on the HD-DVD (pillarboxed). They surely did a full 2K restoration. They did strike new prints after all.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I was interested in seeing how the Bugs cartoon looked in HD.

Will I end up rebuying all my Walt Disney Treasures, too?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

All of the cartoons look fabulous. The colors on both the feature and the cartoons on this disc are perhaps the best I've ever seen on a home video format.

Bring on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I dunno, watching the first few minutes, I could see more grain than picture.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
My 360 HD-DVD player decided to eat Batman Begins (I've since turned it vertical and have had no problems) so I returned it Best Buy to exchange it but they were out. They let me get another HD-DVD but their selection wasn't that good and even though I had never seen the film I remembered the comments in this thread and took a chance. I watched it yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. The movie, the extras and the transfer were all fantastic. I really enjoyed the feature on Technicolor. I never knew what a three strip production meant before watching it but now I do. I'd like to thank everyone in the thread for recommending the film. If you hadn't I may never have seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks