What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are few films for which a writer / director truly deserves the "name above the title" credit.

The Thin Red Line is one of that rare breed.

It's a war movie; character study; reality show far more real that most reality shows, and as photographed by John Toll, one of the most infuriatingly gorgeous war films ever captured to film.

"Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll."
- Tommy, Rudyard Kipling

One thing that it is most assuredly not is your grandfather's war film.

The Thin Red Line is an Event film -- any of Mr. Malick's works are -- that needs to be experienced. It cannot easily be explained.

Mr. Malick is an extremely meticulous filmmaker, and Fox's new Blu-ray by way of Criterion (spine 536, for those who keep track of such things) is befitting its subject.

Interestingly, this is the first time that I recall seeing the legend on screen before the film that the filmmaker requests that it be played LOUD!

The track is all its uncompressed glory will clean the lint out of one's speakers.

And the image is among the most perfect to come down the pike in awhile, taking full advantage of the attributes offered, but not often enough used, of the Blu-ray technology.

The transfer was supervised by Mr. Malick and Mr. Toll. The superb color is from the talents of Brian McMann. And I have no doubt that Fox's inimitable Schawn Belston did a bit more than peek in the door to see that all was going well. Credit must go to Fox and to Criterion for allowing the filmmakers to create the master that they desired.

For those with children who love film, the R rating is to be taken extremely seriously.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Interestingly, this is the first time that I recall seeing the legend on screen before the film that the filmmaker requests that it be played LOUD!

A similar legend appears at the beginning of The Last Waltz.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
One thing that struck me about the sound mix on this is that, the other night I had to watch this with the volume turned down pretty low so as to not disturb the neighbors, and even with the volume considerably down, I was able to perfectly understand every bit of dialogue in the film. I usually find myself straining to hear the dialogue or even have to turn on the subtitles in such situations, but not here. It's a fantastic sound mix, and one of the best dialogue mixes I've ever heard.

Vincent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent_P

One thing that struck me about the sound mix on this is that, the other night I had to watch this with the volume turned down pretty low so as to not disturb the neighbors, and even with the volume considerably down, I was able to perfectly understand every bit of dialogue in the film. I usually find myself straining to hear the dialogue or even have to turn on the subtitles in such situations, but not here. It's a fantastic sound mix, and one of the best dialogue mixes I've ever heard.

Vincent

Vincent,

You obviously need to move.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks