What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Taken -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There's a line of dialogue in Pierre Morel's Taken that I presume is a quick nod in the direction of Sir Alfred's The Man Who Knew Too Much(2) and Ambrose Chapel.

St-Cloud? Is it a place or a person?

Taken isn't a great film, but it is an entertainingly violent one, yet still with a body count far less than The Wild Bunch.

We know from the outset what is going to occur. We presume that we know how it will end. It is merely the screen time in the middle that is left to entertain.

Liam Neeson plays a retired federal agent, very much at the height of his powers, who is unstoppable -- in the sense of a Rambo -- when he goes after his daughter, who has been...

Taken is a quality popcorn flick filled to overflowing with testosterone. Big, loud, and ultimately fun. This is not a film to view for a story line. Just go for the ride.

Shot on both film and via Panavision Genesis, the final result is a terrific looking Blu-ray.

Recommended.

RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Never underestimate a daddy who really gets angry.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

(I used to say this to my children after watching films like The Last of the Mohicans, Commando and even Return of the Jedi.)
It made it to our standard family jokes/sayings.

Another one apparently, and although my children are > 20yrs now, I hope they still believe it.
Ordered it, of course, after reading your verdict.

Thanks for the review, Robert.

Cees

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie and the blu-ray is top notch.

Is the story deep? No, but the movie is captivating, exhilirating, wall to wall action and ultimately extremely satisfying.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree the story isn't deep in comparison to, say, drama movies. But for an action movie I found the story to be more than serviceable. Perhaps in lesser hands (both directing and acting) the story might come up short, but Liam Neeson was simply compelling to watch in this role.

Saw it for the first time in Blu last night, and I was blown away by the A/V quality and the quality of the film. Tightly paced at a shade over 90 minutes, and while the pace is fast, and the cutting is as well, it has none of those headache inducing type cuts that other action films employ to hide poor acting or over-exaggerate action [above and beyond what an action film should do].

This has become my favorite action film since the original Die Hard and Besson's Leon: The Professional. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I started watching this, and thought the picture to be relatively soft.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have to confess not being a fan of this film.

The cast and the production are high quality, but the script is just - well, all I can think is that it works better as a comedy.

I'm sure other people like it, but it didn't play for the group with which I saw it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Well,

I watched it first (after so many months of waiting - European/PAL release being early, and me tellign people to wait for the RA/1 version), very relunctantly on FOXTEL (in Australia) pay-per-view Pan & Scanned (sacrilege) on a 20" LCD but it was at a friend's house, so I did not wish to offend by being snobbish about it.

I thought it was entertaining, and ordered the Region B disc then in February. Having read reviews about how good the picture, and trying to troubleshoot my HDMI dorpout issues with Fox discs, I watched the first 20 minutes or so (on the 185" screen), and I can't say that it was much better than watching it P&S on a 20" screen in terms of perceived difference - 2.35 ratio aside.

The close up of Liam's face as he issues his ultimatum didn't exude the usual "wow, look at his wrinkles" reaction.

Again, just from a quick casual 20 minutes viewing (while thinking I better go home soon to wife).

Is that ok for an "and then"?

Wife does want to watch, but most friends have already seen (on pirate discs or) at cinema last year. Will conclude observation when that happens.

Now, having started Revolutionary Road last night, which is a very different film, and observed the Special Features (which wife always watches first), that is HIGH DEFINITION - Kate's whiskers (facial hair) are so prevalant in the close-ups. Didn't realise she (or anyone for that matter) was that facially hirsute.

Grin.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I picked this up on release day and thought it was a good if somewhat shallow revenge flick, which I occasionally find myself in the mood for. I do feel a little guilty for enjoying the scene with the nails so much.

The picture looked quite good to me and the gunshots were satisfyingly punchy. I didn't find anything lacking about the presentation.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My friends and I kept saying to each other,

"Man, I hate it when THAT happens!"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks