What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Stars and Stripes Forever -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When Fox is working with original three-strip Technicolor elements, as opposed to their obligatory dupes, something magical occurs.

One look at Henry Koster's Stars and Stripes Forever, and even the most uninitiated will realize that they're seeing the real thing.

The changeover from nitrate to safety elements for negatives was made beginning in 1951. 1952 saw a mix of three-strip and Eastman Color tri-pack photography. To the best of my knowledge only a single Fox three-strip show was shot on safety in 1951 -- Halls of Montezuma. Everything in 1952 was safety based, along with the slow switch to Eastman.

My point is, that it is only by a quirk of technological fate, that this stunningly beautiful Technicolor production has survived. A year earlier, and we would have imagery far less original and perfect. A year later, and it might have been shot on the earliest incarnation of Eastman Color.

I don't wish anyone to take my technical meanderings and presume that it is only the technical that makes this film important.

Hardly.

Superb performances, brought to the screen by ace director Koster, and photographed to perfection by Charles C. Clarke (Tarzan and His Mate, Margie, Miracle on 34th Street, Captain from Castile, Carousel) create a superb entertainment.

A great production, which allows us to examine the finest capabilities of the Technicolor process at the end of it's technological reign.

A gorgeous Blu-ray.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Yes, I agree with you. S&SF looks great and has a fine performance by Clifton Webb. Young Debra Paget looks great too! Beautiful color and contrast.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got my copy from the contest in the mail. Thanks HTF! Looking forward to watching it. I wonder if inattentive folks will pick it up off the shelf and buy it thinking it's The Music Man. The cover sure looks like it might be.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Watched it tonight. Incredible image quality... and one of the most absurd endings I've ever seen!

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
bigshot said:
Watched it tonight. Incredible image quality... and one of the most absurd endings I've ever seen!
Well the whole movie is pretty much fluff. There are no obstacles of any kind for Webb's character. He just tours the world and marches with his band. They have to send Wagner's character to war so there's some tension for the third act. You could say it's as uneventful as "Meet me in St. Louis", but without all the rich character interaction stuff that makes that one so special. But it's enjoyable old-fashioned lightweight entertainment. Maybe this is an improper comparison (because they were made 8 years apart) but I thought this looked better than "Meet me in St. Louis". The dupes looked better (all the shots involved in dissolves). The ones in MMiSL looked so much softer and grainier than the rest of the movie, it was too noticeable, to my taste.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I don't mind fluff, but when they got to Robert Wagner, wooden legs and tubas, I was just shaking my head.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
This is not getting nearly enough attention - it is spectacular, and I agree that it looks better than Meet Me in St. Louis - it's what Technicolor looks like! Look at those BLUE skies - gorgeous. Was this film even reviewed here?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by haineshisway

This is not getting nearly enough attention - it is spectacular, and I agree that it looks better than Meet Me in St. Louis - it's what Technicolor looks like! Look at those BLUE skies - gorgeous. Was this film even reviewed here?

It sure was. I did it. Check the right side panel for "Related Forum Threads" and you'll see a link to the review.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MattH. said:
It sure was. I did it. Check the right side panel for "Related Forum Threads" and you'll see a link to the review.
Great I'll check it out - oddly it didn't come up in a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks